There are newer employer reviews for 3M

3M is generally speaking a great company, and I enjoyed my time there, I learned a lot from a lot of people.

Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M

Pros

Good pay Great benefits Still had a pension plan, but not for new employees now Reasonable flexibility in working from home when needed, etc

Cons

Long hours, depending on the job, 60 hour workweeks were not uncommon Travel, again depending on the type of job Little accountability for management Slow but steady downward trend in how people are treated

Advice to Management

Listen to your technical employees, they make the company work. Don't be too quick to mock traditional 3M values, and embrace the cultures of other companies, remember that 3M has been around for 100+ years and is currently thriving- this means that the 3M way can't be all that bad.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. An educational experience

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at 3M

Pros

Work with some very smart individuals. Excellent work/personal life balance. Very supportive and understanding management. Insight into design and patent process.

Cons

I didn't find it particularly stimulating to focus on a small subset of one particular project, and the work (while applicable to what I had learned and fundamentally interesting) was somewhat boring.

Advice to Management

You have a great intern program set up, it gives people excellent insight into what it is like to work for your company. It just wasn't for me.

Terrible people, lack of learning opportunities

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at 3M

Pros

Good benefits, profit sharing, 401k matching and stock purchase options

Cons

lack of learning and growth opportunities in locations apart from their HQ in minnesota. Boring job, poor management. If you cannot move to corporate, you cannot move up the ladder.

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like they are not human beings. Be respectful of ideas from subordinates and keep an open line of communication.