84 Lumber

www.84lumber.com

Fast paced.

Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Slidell, LA

ProsThe income potential is high for outside sales persons and anyone with a head on their shoulders, a sense for economics, the gift of gab and a strong back can go from rags to not so raggedy with 84.

ConsIt's a good old boys club. If your not white, be prepared for a constant non stop game of king of the hill. It's like being the new guy even when there is a new new guy.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade your computer systems and I don't mean mimic Lowe's or Home Depot, I mean you need to put some real money in it and become the very cutting edge in tech applied to building retail. It's time to stop being on the back end of this one. Forget bumper stickers. Think Smart Phone App, that a contractor can use to place his order directly to the system before he even gets in the truck, complete with estimated delivery times, etc. You behind the power curve, so I threw that last bit in for free (mind you, I haven't been around in a while so you folks might have already thought of and implemented this, but I doubt it, and I don't doubt that if you don't take this advise from someone soon, you won't see acceptable corporate growth this decade). 84 is the new Kmart. Stop doing that and be Target instead.

Honesty, Integrity.... Not here folks!

Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Pay attention early on and you can become a virtual expert about the LBM industry and retailing in the industry. The training, while dumbed… Cons: LONG HOURS, purposely & consistently short staffed at store level. Poor communication from top management down, seeming lack of clear goals coming from upper… Advice to Senior Management: Quit putting the cart in front of the horse, stop micromanaging. Above all be honest with your people and your customers. The… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Hard work pays off but patience is a virtue.

Dispatcher/Warehouse/Yard/Co-manager (Current Employee) Greenville, SC

I have been working at 84 Lumber full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: started at the bottom at $8.00 per hour. Worked my way up to manager in about 5 years and made over 100k 3 years in… Cons: When times are tough like right now, the money is just so-so. Very,very,very,very understaffed, which requires each person to do so much work that evryone… Advice to Senior Management: The "cart" before the "horse" mentality looks good on paper but when you go out and land big accounts before you have the staff to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on 84 Lumber.

Worked for 84 Lumber? Contribute to the Community!