There are newer employer reviews for 84 Lumber

Good and Bad

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Tavares, FL
Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Tavares, FL

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

Pay is fantastic compared with others in the industry
Management oversight and hours are very flexible.

Cons

They seem to be very confused as to the direction they are going in a crumbling market.
Management by crisis and attrition.
Their pay structure does not encourage aquiring new customers in a competitive market.
Profitablity of each sale comes before customer service.

My advice would be to stop allowing accounts to sit on the sidelines without sales. Open the national accounts back up if they have been idle for a certain amount of time. They need to refocus on what the customer needs and wants to buy, rather than what they have or wish to sell.

66 Other Employee Reviews for 84 Lumber (View Most Recent)

Current Employee - Manager Trainee  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Manager Trainee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at 84 Lumber

Pros

Working with pro contracors and getting building education.

Cons

False promises.... I left a great job with hoop dreams of money and promotion, and got nothing just like my fellow employees.

get a clue
    and by the way Joe is not running the company any more Maggie is and SUCKS

This position can be an opportunity for some

Former Employee - Manager Trainee  in  Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Manager Trainee in Upper Marlboro, MD

I worked at 84 Lumber

Pros

You learn a lot about the building industry working at 84. This is all on your of course, but when my employment ended, I was much more educated on contracting and building industries.

Cons

The cons far outweigh the pros at 84, in my particular situation. You are required to work 48+ hours a week, including weekends and holidays. You work with the same few people at all times, which means if you get stuck with a poor management team, it's extremely frustrating. Nothing is taught to you, you are expected to learn on your own as you go. This can be a good job for some- if you have just a high school education, no specific training, and no network to get you into a more lucrative career, then this is a decent option. I'm not trying to be derogatory, that's simply my opinion of the opportunity. There is theoretically advancement potential, although like at most corporations, it depends on variables. If you learn and perform, you can move up, although ex police and military are almost always promoted quicker. Seniority has no effect on your promotion.

Management listens to feedback from above, not from below. But my advice- invest more in the manger trainees, and try to teach at least some aspects of management.

There are newer employer reviews for 84 Lumber

Worked for 84 Lumber? Contribute to the Community!