Way overworked! Not given tools to succeed.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Somewhat decent pay for retail.
earn one personal day a month.

Cons

Never given enough hours,to properly run store.
Direction from home office is never consistent
Don't have an effective training program.
ridiculously long hours you are required to work during holiday
Low price point men's a constant battle with cheap customers.

I was hired by Aero thinking there would be a lot of opportunity, boy was I wrong. The company offers littles opportunity for advancement unless you just want to move to a higher volume store. Store managers are given little freedom to actually run the store. the DM spends all of their time micro-managing instead of working to help train the managers.
They recently made changes to management head counts so many stores are required to run with only 2 full time managers. I was hired and left in a store with a newly hired AM as well and left to fend for myself without help from the DM on how to run the store. And if you are down a manager you will get no help from others stores, the SM is expected to work all of their hours as well as the management hours of the manager you are short(even if it is just bc your manager is on vacation)
The company is constantly running and changing promotions that are confusing to the customer( once we even changed promotion half way through the day).
Also the black out dates for not being able to take vacation are worse than any other retail place I have worked, bc in addition to what is listed in the handbook the dm and rm will just make up days that you can't take vacation (ie last day of the month, last saturday of the month, spring break, mothers/fathers day weekend, Easter weekend)
If you are thinking of leaving your current retail job for aero(especially in the St. Louis/Kansas City/Springfield area) I would try to do as much research as possible and try to talk to people who work or used to work there. it won't be hard to find many who used to work there.

Provide enough hours for stores to run effectively and successfully.

Other Reviews for Aéropostale

Zero Strategy

Current Employee - Associate Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Truly a friendly bunch of people. Hardly any 'bitchy' fashion types
    -good work/life balance
    -if you're a complacent type, you can surely be a 'lifer'.
    -good vacation days and benefits

Cons

-Only way to get promoted is to stay much longer than necessary, or to get an offer elsewhere and hope for a counter.
    -no marketing strategy whatsoever
    -constant and moronic changes to appease business needs on the day to day, vs any kind of longterm strategy.
    -Had first year of no bonuses in company history, and i believe it will be a trend now.

-fire yourselves, and hire people who understand what a strategy is and how to implement one.
    -The nepotism is demoralizing, and you are losing talented people because of it. More importantly, be covert about it, because the people you give a halo to are embarrassingly dumb, and make you look the same.
    -Pretending to pull the wool over your employees eyes is offensive and results in higher turnover.

A lot of work for managers

I have been working at Aéropostale full-time

Pros

The salary is very decent

Cons

not enough payroll to accomplish ANYTHING, too many markdowns and promos

There are newer employer reviews for Aéropostale.

Worked for Aéropostale? Contribute to the Community!