There are newer employer reviews for Aéropostale

Aeropostale Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newark, DE

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

- the discount was very nice. we had a 30-50% discount. this discount also included items that were on sale.

Cons

- one downside about working in aeropostale was that the managers were not professional.
 - if we worked a closing shift, we would also have to work late into the night-- sometimes into 3-4am.

- as the store's jeanius, i thought it was a good way to give myself experience with my leadership skills

reviews filtered by
  1. Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Aéropostale

Pros

The way that Aeropostale runs sales promotions, internal marketing adjustments and merchandise flow is challenging but in a good way. It really gives you the opportunity to find out what you're made of as a manager and as a team player. The time constraints and limited opportunities to be prodded into being a more effective manager really force you to examine your abilities and learn from the challenges presented.

Cons

The pros and cons are kind of the same. If you are the type of person who is unsure or just starting to get a real feel for the type of manager you are going to be, Aero adapts a sink or swim type of attitude. Training and workshops are provided but are informal and often consist of a bunch of managers gossiping and chatting the whole time. You really need to take initiative and find out how to do things on your own because you are unlikely to receive support from upper management in terms of developing your strengths.

Slow down and get organized! Even though it is beneficial to make snap decisions on sales based on product sell through, it also negatively impacts the stores as they try to scramble to get more done with less. Think things through before you put them into action. If a coupon is being sent out to increase transactions, not sales, then you should give the stores extra payroll to manage the overflow. Customers end up suffering when employees are stressed to their breaking points.

2. Maddening Environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Aéropostale

Pros

Easy to get the job, interview process is very simple. The atmosphere was fairly high energy at a busy store.

Cons

Horrible pay--"chat-ins" make you feel like a child. It's become fairly common in retail clothing, but "call-in" shifts are awful from the employee perspective

The company seems to be making money, especially compared to other clothing retailers in this economy. For that, I almost can't blame them for continuing a management model where most employees hate their jobs, because it's working for the bottom line. That said, I don't think many people enjoy their job at Aero.

There are newer employer reviews for Aéropostale