There are newer employer reviews for A. H. Belo

Hard times in the newspaper industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at A. H. Belo

Pros

The company pays very well for a nice combination of work life balance. They truly do want people to have time outside of work to live their life. The company has a number of great opportunites for sales people as they are the life blood of the company. I do truly believe that the management wants to bring the newspaper into the future, and they have a lot of pride in the company's history, particularly in Dallas.

Cons

There is a very strong "A team" mentality. You'll see the same people in meetings all the time, talking about the same things. There's very little acceptance of dissenting opinion, even if it is factual data from an objective third party. In fact, frequently the data will be refuted because it doesn't match someone's "gut." Of course there's also the cloud that's hanging over the entire industry that doesn't help with a "can do" attitude. There's also this strong tendency to become enamored with the latest idea, but never put any resources behind it. The work is put in on the front end, but the product will be left to die on the vine after launch. Realisically its a company that's run by a controlling family with almost complete authority.

Advice to Management

Encourage constructive criticism. The best ideas are tested in fire, not by sycophants. Realistic expectations go along way. Look out for people that consistenly over promise and under deliver and reward the reverse.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not for everyone

I have been working at A. H. Belo

Pros

The pay is pretty good.
    Nice, friendly place to work.
    Understanding of situations that come up outside of work.
    Flexible with requesting time off.

Cons

Was sold on a job that turned out NOT to be the case.
    Not much room for advancement or growth.
    Expectations are high relative to the training (or lack there of)
    Managment does not appear as knowledgable as he/she should

Advice to Management

Be sensitive and accepting of the criticism given by your subordinates and actually listen to what they have to say. Besides, the better job they do, the better you look as management.

2. Interesting environment where I learned a lot.

I worked at A. H. Belo

Pros

I felt accepted by upper management.

Cons

Lack of personality within my team