A Place for Mom

www.aplaceformom.com
  www.aplaceformom.com
There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

The thought behind this company is wonderful. Helping families find safe environments for the seniors they love.

Former Employee - Family Counselor in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Family Counselor in Chicago, IL

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved helping families in crisis. To know that you could provide the information that they needed when they were feeling lost was incredible. Loved working from home.

Cons

Too bad that if they didn't have the funds to live in a private pay AL or retirement community that you were pretty much out of luck to help them. I was actually told that if they didn't have the money I needed to 'dump them' and move on to someone who did. I can't tell you how many people I called from my home phone to give them info that would help them, so I wouldn't get in trouble...again...for spending time on families without funds. I accepted the job to help people, and I determined to do just that, whether they had money or not. My last straw was when I needed time off to care for a senior in my own family and was raked across the coals for it. My supervisor actually asked me if I planned on moving hom into a facility, because she would be my counselor. What, so she could get the credit for the move? My background is in senior housing and I can d take care of that myself if I ever need to. Instead I left the company and care for my father myself at home.

This could be a great company if they learn to treat people with respect and dignity...employees, partner communities and families without huge pockets.

114 Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom (View Most Recent)

Financially? Biggest mistake of my life

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

Being an eldercare advisor is amazing - great personal satisfaction helping a family go from a nightmare to a resolution. The education you will receive, if you are hungry and look for it, is amazing.

Cons

No money. Micro-managed. Too many hats to wear so that you become a jack of all trades and a master of none, a telephone system that is a joke, 50 - 60 hours a week but you can only claim 40 which, if I'm 100% commission, why do you need my hours anyway? No respect from Sr Management. You're easily expendable. No loyalty from mgmt at all.

How about you pounding the phones for about 2 months just like I did every day before you start telling me how to do my job better? How about walking a mile in my shoes at 100% commission - not your inflated salary, with the same technology I have to work with, with all the hats I have to wear - do that for about 2 months and let's see how successful you are - EARN MY RESPECT.

APPLY For the JOB if you LOVE TELEMARKETING

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

Growing industry and good solid training for a future career path...but not with APFM

Cons

Terrible compensation for the amount of work involved. The quotas have been set way too high and all the creativity and accomplishment has been removed from the position. Management says they are listening, but most of us felt very mislead and many good people are leaving

They wouldn't listen