A Place for Mom

Energetic environment, great people

Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Profitable, successful company that feels like a start up
- Creative ideas are valued - culture of test and learn
- Great location
- Nimble dev team (so refreshing!)
- Energized, smart, creative colleagues

Cons

- The company is still defining itself
- Definitely feel the growing pains
- Feels like a start-up

- Define and communicate company values and culture
- Continue focusing on bringing in great people, growing the people we have
- Put more effort into morale boosting
- Don't have too many cooks in the kitchen
- Be more transparent with employees

119 Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom (View Most Recent)

Great Opportunity to gain New Skills and Career Advancement

Current Employee - Search Engine Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Search Engine Marketing Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been working for A Place for Mom for almost 2 years and have had several opportunities to gain new experiences and move up within the company. I started as a call center employee right out of college, back when the company was much smaller. After several months of great performance they started having me train the new call center employees. I loved the job and the challenges it presented. I had expressed to my supervisor that I was interested in trying to go to different departments to help with finding a future career. She helped me join a pilot program for the marketing department. My manager helped me every step of the way; from learning the basics to discussing theories and best practices. After a few months I was offered an official position on the team and was beyond excited. I have even become certified through Google and Microsoft.

The travel compensation makes my very long commute easier financially which is great. Plus the sun decks and ping pong tables are a great way to relax and get away from the computer for a few minutes every day.

Cons

Snack budget was cut so there are no longer any free snacks.

Noticeable lack of department interactions. Nearly zero interactions with individuals from other departments.

I appreciate the practice where we receive monthly updates directly from the CEO. It helps me feel connected to the different departments and keeps me up to date on what is going on in the company.

There should be more office sponsored activities to promote communication and interactions for individuals from other departments. This helps the company create a better work environment because people will be more comfortable knowing the people they work with.

One of the best jobs I have ever had.

Current Employee - National Assessor in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - National Assessor in Bend, OR

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home, good pay, very rewarding and a sense that you are truly helping others in need. Compensation is very high compared to any other home office based job. Anyone who could not make more than $50k in the advisor job after a year, just wasn't good at this job. It is a 40 hour job, some people just don't put in the time out of a home office. After 20 months, I still love it!

Cons

Some night and weekend work. Must be able to self manage. Used to be full commission, now is salary commission. Not for everyone, must be very compassionate and work well with people over the phone. The first year when it was salary only was very difficult. Recent changes have helped with that.

There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom