There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

Fast growing, fast changing company

Current Employee - Corporate  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Corporate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has changed dramatically since new management arrived 2 years ago.
The company is in the process of moving from a start-up to "playing with the big boys". In the last two years we have created a full reporting suite and enterprise-data-warehouse; created a national accounts partner team; created a national partner growth team; grew a call center from less than 30 people to more than 150; completely changed the culture and pay structure of over 200 in-field advisers, reducing employee churn to almost zero; created a marketing team (in the old world marketing sat under finance if you can believe it!)

Through it all we've managed to keep our focus on helping families and the company mission.

It's not often you get to combine hard work and huge impact with doing a lot of good in the world.

Cons

Through the changes of the past two years some people have been left behind.
Many people were hired into roles that made sense when the company was a small start-up, but they had difficulty as the company became more focused on things like metrics and "deliverables".

As these people struggled in their roles they blamed others (I think that's what's going on in some of the reviews by ex-employees on here). That poisoned the culture a little as we all went through the transition. I think with the hiring of a new CFO and CIO this seems to have been solved, but only the next few months will tell.

Also: Career Opportunities are a mix-bag. As a fast growing company there are lots of opportunities for growth, but at the same time, it's still a small company and will never have the laundry list job board that a giant Fortune 500 would have. You have to be a little more patient for something that fits your exact right skills.

Keep lines of communication open.
More feedback earlier is always better - especially for the people who are excelling in their jobs so they know they are doing well and can focus on the things that matter.

101 Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom (View Most Recent)

Fast Growing Company with Great Senior Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at A Place for Mom as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

There are a ton of changes going on within this organization, and the senior leadership is doing an excellent job of navigating the senior living space by hiring talented folks with experience in e-commerce, healthcare and growth stage tech companies. As a result, this is a great place to hit the ground running, take on responsibility and help a great company become even better.

Cons

Depending on the size and level of organization you are comfortable with, APFM's early-stage attitude and willingness to change things up might be too much for you.

Keep up the good work!

They hire salespeople with the spaghetti/wall rule

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at A Place for Mom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Super opportunity to help people and get paid for it. I was there over two years and that was far and away the best thing about the job. The second best were my peers out in the field, primarily good people. The partner organizations (senior communities and facilities are primarily there because they cared about seniors, which made them good folks to know also. However...

Cons

the people in Seattle, well the decision makers, weren't to be trusted. Their sales model didn't work, doesn't work for 90% of the people they hire, and they know this but continue to throw us against the wall and hope we stick. My training class was around 30, and by the end of year 2 their was 3 or 4 still with Mom, and soon there was only 1. She's prospering, but everyone else did not.
    You'll notice that all the 5 star ratings are from Seattle, none from the field. Being cynical, I presume they're upper management, or tools, who are trying to up the numbers.
    The job changed constantly, and after 6 months the rules had changed so that I would not have taken the job as it was then configured. It's been a little while now, but I occasionally look at the advisors to see if I still know anyone. I just looked and my classmate is still there, and a few others who have prospered, but most are new faces. They just continue to peel off the wall and fall to the floor.

Find a successful company and copy how they do it, sales wise. The rotating doors have affected your relationships with the partner organizations. Unless you change for the better, I hope salespeople stop wasting their time and careers with you.

There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

Worked for A Place for Mom? Contribute to the Community!