www.aplaceformom.com
  www.aplaceformom.com
There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom

A Place for Mom often failed to offer its corporate employees the means and support to do their jobs well.

Former Employee - Elder Care Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Elder Care Resource Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

The Eldercare Resource Coordinator position (or Harvester/Gardener position, as it's known within the company) is a great resume builder for someone looking to get their leg up in sales and communications.

Cons

Eldercare Resource Coordinators are treated far more poorly than the rest of the corporate staff. We were continually promised benefits like commission better chance of raises, but in my time at A Place for Mom, the only change I saw was that our bonuses were completely stripped from us. We were so micromanaged and our actions so scrutinized that there were days I was actually afraid to leave my desk to get coffee or to be seen going to the restroom; and all this doesn't scratch the surface of the company's questionable ethics in general.

Certainly call numbers are important in this position, and certainly they should be monitored, but we were rarely given constructive feedback as to how to actually do our jobs better. In an industry that deals with such personal and delicate issues as finding housing for loved ones, Eldercare Resource Coordinators should feel empowered enough that they can stop worrying about call numbers and be allowed to care about the quality of the conversations they are having with families.

114 Other Employee Reviews for A Place for Mom (View Most Recent)

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Seattle, WA

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

Excellent training which consists of 1 week in Seattle and 6 months from your home office. It's an important job and a great concept. I felt great helping families. Unfortunately, the compensation isn't that great.

Cons

The Eldercare Advisors at A Place for Mom are expected to wear too many hats. They are responsible for advising families (150 at a time which is a full time job in itself), visiting partners and keeping them happy, going out on sales calls to generate new leads and sign new partners. Way too many things for one person to do unless you are prepared to spend 60 hours/week working. They micromanage you which is absurd considering the position is 100% commission with no base salary. The advisors are not assigned territories so you may have 10 advisors working your area. This makes things very complicated for the partners which may have 10 advisors calling them each week or trying to come in to tour their community.

Assign territories and pay your advisors a base salary with commissions. I would also have 2 sales reps per territory. One to meet with partners monthly and sign new partners and one to advise families and do sales calls. It is way too much to ask your current advisors to sign new partners on top of everything else they have to do.

Pros and Cons of Senior Care Advisor

Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Elder Care Advisor in Norfolk, VA

I worked at A Place for Mom

Pros

The company has some great tools to introduce you to the senior care industry. The computer system is top notch and the staff in the corporate office seem very knowledgeable. It is a fast-paced, ever changing business.

Cons

The company relies solely on the internet leads to determine how many advisors to put in every market. The turnover has hurt the companies relationship with the partners and word has gotten out to the potential partners too! The earning potential given by the recruiters is outdated and not at all realistic for the majority of the advisors except for the larger markets like Atlanta. It takes a good 2 years to build up a base of professional referrals and the miledge reimbursement is only 10 cents! Don't walk......run.

Get away from the computer and put some managers in the markets that actually call on the current and potentials partners. And pay a bonus for signing new partners. At 10 cents a mile, the incentive to add new communities is weak.

There are newer employer reviews for A Place for Mom