There are newer employer reviews for A.T. Kearney

Opportunity to make a strong impact for your clients and your career

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

ATK is a firm on the move. Growth is strong, culture is strong, utilization is up, and people are getting some great opportunities.

Clients love our work. I have not been on a project that has gone south, indeed I've been on projects where we replace other reputable firms and the comments we get are very flattering. I think this has a lot to do with our collaborative approach. We don't work "on" you... we work "with" you.

If you're a high-performer and are willing to put the work in, the bonus structure will reward you generously. If you're a below-average performer, there will be a strong signal to move you along the process of leaving the firm. I believe these are tremendous "Pros" for the firm. It helps the firm hang onto high performers, and shows them that their hard work and skill are worth something.

Office culture is improving across the board. Chicago has a brand new office with a better layout for collaboration and socialization, which is helping foster a strong culture. New York and San Fran already have these layouts.

If you network the right way, and are willing to settle into a comfortable niche / pyramid, then you can be very successful earlier on.

International assignments are accessible to those who want them. I know of folks that have been to: Dubai, South Africa, Ghana, Australia, UK, Singapore, Turkey, etc. etc.

Cons

-Long Hours (same as every consulting firm)
-Can be pigeon-holed if you don't manage your career better (it is up to the consultant to prevent this, no one at ATK will figure this out for you!)
-Strong reliance on procurement as the wedge into companies - and sometimes the pivot doesn't come soon enough.

You've got a great thing going - keep it up. Please focus a bit more on HR (Change Management, Communication, Policies, Quality, Recruitment, etc.)

A.T. Kearney Response

Nov 3, 2014Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback!

reviews filtered by

Excellent Employer

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, interesting projects, intelligent people. A.T. Kearney has ambitious growth plans and is on a strong growth trajectory.

Cons

Minimal complaints about being a consultant at A.T. Kearney. There are few changes I would make to the organization.
    I have had a very positive experience.

A.T. Kearney Response

Nov 3, 2014Senior Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback!

Bait and switch

I have been working at A.T. Kearney full-time

Pros

The people in your incoming class become close friends, though largely because it feels like you're in the trenches and you really need someone to confide in. Company values and training sound good on paper...the execution is far removed.

Cons

Where to start....
    - People get promoted to Manager based on Associate skills, meaning that they have no idea about how to actually "manage" a team. Their biggest priority is to find underlings who can carry the biggest load possible.
    - Every level (Analyst, Associate, Manager, etc.) thinks it is in the worst position in the hierarchy. does it ever get better?
    - Travel, travel, travel. Other firms are moving the needle on work/life improvement and balance. The only time you will hear about benefits/improvements is when you're recruiting because no one wants to tell you straight up that it's horrible. They should.
    - No support whatsoever. Once you're hired, you're given a superficial support apparatus: a mentor, partner meetings, ombudsman. This has all the actual vigor and strength of a beetle. Your mentor is almost always traveling, so face-to-face time is impossible, and they almost never go to bat for you in terms of helping you get on projects, etc. The ones who do are rare gems.
    - 80-90% hate being there. I don't know how much I can emphasize this, but in talking to my colleagues, almost everyone is desperate to get out. Friends at MBB complain about their hours, tough clients, etc., but people at ATK are miserable in a totally different way. It's gutting.
    - Job prospects are slim. The alumni network is fairly worthless -- go to an alumni event and don't be surprised to find a scantily populated room. Everyone is so tired and unappreciated that it's hard to feel good about being part of the network. Even the brightest people I knew at ATK found exit opportunities on their own...the bulk seem to go back to their old clients.
    - The culture is toxic in that people are rewarded for their excel ability and willingness to sacrifice personal time for work i.e. take that call on Saturday morning, or sleep 4 hours a night for 3 weeks straight without any gratitude. What happens is that people assume this is the only way to succeed at the firm, meaning that you retain/favor those who are willing to lay their lives down for work. Is that your model employee?

Don't treat your junior employees like dirt. It will and does get back to the schools and you will struggle to get the best talent because your reputation is terrible. Keeping up employee morale is JUST AS IMPORTANT as pleasing your clients.
    When you promote people, ensure that they are properly trained for their new responsibilities. Not everyone is great at managing a team -- in fact, most people are terrible at it without some guidance.
    Take an interest in your people. Dismantle a system in which one's ability to manipulate excel is put on a pedestal above other qualities like humanity, decency, and a desire to support the team. You've created a culture that rewards jerks.

There are newer employer reviews for A.T. Kearney