There are newer employer reviews for A&P

New Business Plan Needed

Current Employee - Not Available in Montvale, NJ
Current Employee - Not Available in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at A&P full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company good for getting another line on your resume.

Cons

Corporate headquarters have too many new people who are not familiar enough with the workings of a supermarket. Poor decision making processes by CEO's have resulted in double digit loss of sales across all banners. Layoffs happen approximately twice a year depending upon how many people have left during the 6 month time period.

It is time to get back to Supermarket Basics 101. Customers want good prices, better service, clean and updated facilities. A&P banners are absolutely viewed as the high price retailer. Customers cannot find an employee to help them since there are none in the aisles. I have been in some facilities where the frozen cases are down and empty every other time I am in the building. Much improvement is needed. Stop spending a fortune on expensive programs such as Galleria, Fifth Dimension and PDO display programs until you are solid ground. The initialization of these programs has not helped to get back lost sales. The opposite has actually occurred. Hopefully, the company cannot go any lower.

reviews filtered by

Unfortunate

Current Employee - Director in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at A&P full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of good dedicated employees who want the company to succeed.

Cons

Poor decisions by executive management. Advancement is often who you know and not what you know.

Reward your talented employees. For executive team, find something to differentiate the company. Follow through with initiatives.

2. It was what it was.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Tappan, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Tappan, NJ

I worked at A&P part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The ten percent discount. That's pretty much it, and the rest of this sentence is strictly intended to fill the twenty word minimum.

Cons

Working at a grocery store. Its not very fun and doesn't make you feel very good about yourself. The company does little to encourage their employees.

While working at A$P, the amount of produce I witnessed being wasted was truly disgusting and downright disturbing. I couldn't believe the sheer volume of food that was being thrown straight into the trash, and top it all off, some of the food was still completely edible! I understand that people want fresh green bananas to bring home, but throwing them all away? C'mon guys, get it together and donate it all to a homeless shelter or to people in need. This to me is absolutely sickening and downright wrong. Because my recommendations for a guaranteed, direct solution to problem were unheard, I chose to part with the company, along with several other factors not worth getting into now. Believe me you, they were just as bad.

There are newer employer reviews for A&P