There are newer employer reviews for A1 Solar Power

The only thing green about this company is their love of money

I worked at A1 Solar Power full-time

Pros

Staff is mostly cool. The company is pretty laid-back about punctuality as long as the job gets done. The actual work is not too bad.

Cons

An unsustainable focus on growth means constant restructuring and change in policy, which means losses to any gains the employees manage to make. Penny-pinching is so extreme the staff aren't given the resources they need to do their job properly. Oversight of work is misdirected and focuses on penny pinching vs. quality control. Therefore, middle management has to spend all their time putting out fires and lose all touch with their employees, while upper management plays out their empire-building fantasy, forcing everyone to endure motivational speeches exalting the god of money, which pretty much kills any good feeling anyone had left about being there for green energy. Instead of honestly appreciating their employees and their teamwork, they single out individuals to reward with token prizes, when the employees would really rather they got respect and were paid the benefits they were promised when hired.

Advice to Management

Was going to give helpful advice, but on second thought, let the company crash and burn. Just keep doing what you're doing and you won't have any good employees left.

Other Employee Reviews for A1 Solar Power

Asked to give 110% to make this company succeed- but at no benefit to the employees.

I have been working at A1 Solar Power full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the office/install employees are awesome and the work atmosphere is pretty laid back.

Cons

No benefits for any A1 Solar employees, no paid vacation, no paid sick days, and most holidays are work days. They make us listen to these motivational meetings, and encourage us to work harder, give it your all, and together we will grow. This company has tripled in size and profits this last year, with NO profit sharing, $0 bonuses, no major raises in compensation, STILL no benefits after 2 years of being promised they were right around the corner, lies about bonuses to come... Just a whole lot of shady propaganda to get us to give more, so that the "partners" can make a killing, with absolutely no incentive for the people making this whole company float and be extremely profitable.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees better with incentives, the good one will leave us.

2. I've installed 53 PV systems for A1 Solar and hundreds more for several other local companys

Current Contractor - Contractor/Installer in Concord, CA
    Current Contractor - Contractor/Installer in Concord, CA

I have been working at A1 Solar Power as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

A1 has been square with me and they endeavor to cater to the customer's needs. I have and do work for several other companies as well. A1 seems the least stingy with their money, they will compensate me for added problems I run into with little scrutiny whereas some other companies just say tough luck and protect their own bottom line only.

Cons

My biggest problem with installing for them is the blueprints are not always accurate causing the spinning of my wheels when trying to get started and the material wherehouse too often sends the wrong material causing me to make extra trips. Not that big a deal really, but annoying. I've read some of these blogs on this site about A1 and have to consider the annonimity of thr writers and wonder how many of them were at fault and just sling mud in defiance.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing but tighten up on the designers and engineers with some quality control. Don't sweat too much these negative claims, I've seen some of these installers and know why you had to send them packing. I am not surprised to see them fling fecal matter rather than look in the mirror for the answers they truly need.