not a place you would choose if you wanted to have a career

Current Employee - Emergency Road Side Representative  in  Irving, TX
Current Employee - Emergency Road Side Representative in Irving, TX

I have been working at AAA Texas part-time for more than a year

Pros

they do try to help give a work-life balance and you get paid better than most companies and also get bonuses every quarter based on your performanace and also a yearly raise. they provide food and have contest just about every month. the management knows who you are and they greet you by your name.

Cons

takes forever to accrue vacation time and it is hard to get time off. good schedules are hard to come by. you have to bid on a schedule and hope your performance scores are good enough to get the schedule you want. changes being made to the policies every month.

more vacation time would equal less call outs leading to better attendance. That would also help in the retention of your employees

Other Reviews for AAA Texas

Great Company to Work for!

Former Employee - Secretary
    Former Employee - Secretary

I worked at AAA Texas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, part of a team, office culture is great.

Cons

No cons for me, enjoyed working here.

If you want a career, don't work here. No room for growth, company is behind the times.

Former Employee - Travel Agent
    Former Employee - Travel Agent

I worked at AAA Texas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stability, AAA has been in business for over 100 years.
    Benefits are decent. But there's room for improvement.
    Travel discounts
    Insurance discounts

Cons

Low pay
    Very limited room for growth.
    There is very little consistency from office to office, or region to region. For a company as large as AAA, it's important that there are set policies and procedures in place. They do have and teach these in corporate, however they are not enforced as taught in the offices. It's very frustrating.
    No overtime, even in the busy season... they freak out about that. I was very successful in my role in sales and found myself having to work from home to keep up. This was a big no-no with AAA, however in order to maintain a quality level of service it was necessary. I did this because I valued my work. I did not get paid for this time, nor did I ask to be... I was just doing what I needed to, to get the job done.
    Benefits could be better compared to other companies of their size.
    Micromanaged by managers that are themselves stretched too thin.
    No support/coaching due to managers being overloaded.
    Management is more interested in furthering themselves than working towards improving the company.
    Management is often lacking in leadership. Employees need strong management that will be willing to go up to bat for them. Instead the management that's put in place tends to just be a mouthpiece for upper management.
    There is no transparency or effective communication between upper management and employees. Everything is treated as a big secret. It is the old school way of managing (top down mentality), which I personally believe hinders growth in an organization. They are not open to ideas from staff, and the corporate office is often very out of touch with what is actually happening around the state.
    Out of date equipment AND processes. The amount of paper used alone, is absurd.
    Products are losing relevance and members are dying... This may sound harsh, but the reality is the bulk of AAA's members are over 50. AAA struggles with attracting young members and this is because the products they offer are no longer worth the money when compared to the online services available. It will be interesting to see where AAA is in 10 years.

Communicate better with your staff.
    Set your managers up to succeed by giving them the appropriate resources, and giving 1 office per manager. Having managers cover 2 offices, and some that are over an hour apart does not set up the managers or the staff to succeed.
    Spend the money on quality supplies and equipment. You're a National company that's well known... act like it. Invest in your company and get out of the stone age as far as technology is concerned.
    Stop micromanaging. Let Managers manage, give them more power.
    Utilize your software for what is was designed to do. Stop bothering sales agents with spreadsheets and reports that can be easily accessed by management through the POS system used in the office.
    Go electronic. It is crazy this day in age the amount of paper that's being used, and having paper files. Plus, electronic files are more secure.
    Ask and listen to your employees about what's going on in the office/field. They may have some great ideas. If someone submits ideas and is trying to be proactive - work with them! At least respond to them...

There are newer employer reviews for AAA Texas.

Worked for AAA Texas? Contribute to the Community!