AACR

aacr.org
  aacr.org
There are newer employer reviews for AACR

Was good once, could be a lot better, going downhill rapidly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AACR

Pros

Quiet, generally laid back, decent benefits, nice people. Great location in Olde City.

Cons

Management varies widely from department to department. Some managers are not very well qualified. Managers are heard to say some things that would get you fired anywhere else. Bad situations are left to go on much too long. Workers are generally dissatisfied. If the market were better, most people would quit. Management thinks we are all fascinated with cancer research, but we're not, we just need a job.

Don't have off on most federal holidays. Sometimes we are the only ones working in the building (or in the city, for that matter). Rarely closes for snow, even when dangerous. Harassed about lateness constantly, even if it's only 5 minutes. No working from home option. No flextime. No hire back policy.

It used to be much nicer but it's getting bigger and crappier every day.

Ask your workers what they want and need. Respect your workers. Join the 21st century.

8 Other Employee Reviews for AACR (View Most Recent)

non-profit that helps you to feel good about what you do all day

Former Employee - Staff Associate
    Former Employee - Staff Associate

I worked at AACR full-time (more than an year)

Pros

co-workers, advancement, just out of college - great job! travel, room for growth

Cons

some micromanaging supervisors, like all other jobs

Great Heart and Mission, Mismanaged Organization

Former Employee - Senior Associate Editor in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Editor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at AACR full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This organization has a heart of gold. They really do want to prevent, treat and cure cancer around the world. You can feel good about contributing to an organization whose mission is so crystal clear.

Cons

There is a lot of control needed at the top so every decision, even minor ones, must go through a very long chain of command, causing things to slow down significantly. It was hard to execute on anything without prior CEO approval. There was a big bottleneck effect.

Consider hiring more freelancers and contractors to help free up the bottlenecks and get more work out the door. Consider better work-life balance by giving employees the opportunity to work from home once in a while. Trust your management more, let go of the need to control!!

There are newer employer reviews for AACR