There are newer employer reviews for AAMC

Plus and minuses

I have been working at AAMC

Pros

Pay is decent
Generous benefits
Great location

Cons

Career stagnation very possible with the new review system

Management should be reviewed as carefully as junior staff

39 Other Employee Reviews for AAMC (View Most Recent)

Overall a generally good company to work for

Former Employee - ERAS Client and Technical Analyst II  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - ERAS Client and Technical Analyst II in Washington, DC

I worked at AAMC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The leadership team overall tries to make the AAMC an excellent company that focuses on its employees. Received great training opportunities and they paid the majority of my tuition for me to go to school at University of Maryland University College. Every summer we had the opportunity to take courses at Learning Tree. I appreciated the travel opportunities as I was able to visit many states that I may not have visited on my own.

Cons

IMHO I was laid off (along with several others) to be replaced with people who would perform the same job for less money. A lot us that came in during the "boom" years our salaries were excellent however when the economy turned they could not justify a significant pay decrease so a bunch of us were laid off.

It is not all about the bottom line. Show your employees that you value their input and giving them the option to accept a decrease in pay instead of being let go.

Good company, limited advancement

Current Employee - Administrative Specialist  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at AAMC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a non-profit, the AAMC generally operates on a 35 hour work week so it's easy to achieve a work-life balance. There will be a few hectic times of year with long hours usually leading up to or during big meetings or events. People are generally friendly and easy to work with, and there are many passionate employees that want to positively impact academic medicine and healthcare.

Cons

The association can be rather silo'd and you may not get much exposure to parts of the company you're interested in unless you really hunt them down. There are a lot of long-term employees (10-20 years), especially manager roles, that are great for institutional memory, but not always great for innovation and exploring new ways of doing things. Younger employees tend to stay only 2-3 years as there aren't that many opportunities for growth or advancement in many departments.

There are newer employer reviews for AAMC

Worked for AAMC? Contribute to the Community!