AARP
www.aarp.org Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

So much wasted potential

Senior Solution Specialist (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

ProsGreat location and lots of sharp people within an amazing digital strategy group. In three years I gained a wealth of knowledge and grew my skill set just by working side by side with these folks. The social mission is admirable in an ideal world.

ConsMost of the people I grew from were not in management. No mentorship. The management varies from team to team and there are some great leaders in the organization. In the same breath, most of the management team I encountered on a daily basis were power hungry and paranoid, unwilling to share critical information needed to help in decision making across groups - and even "making up" false data to share instead from time to time, if the false data served a purpose for said management. Reorganization is ongoing on some teams, so many teams never reach the "performing" or even "norming" stage of team cohesion. Group think is a HUGE issue in many departments, with blatent favoritism supported by management. Critical issues tend to get swept under the rug instead of dealt with and improved upon in a professional manner. Often times hostile behavior from favorites is rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be accountable and then teach accountability. Learn to manage as a leader with your team as a central focus as opposed to managing as a boss with your career advancement as the central focus and your team as "weapons" in your "battle" to reach the top.

Horrible

I have been working at AARP

Pros: Taking time off from the office Cons: Everything is up in the air right now. No structure Advice to Senior Management: Hire more qualified people No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great mission with really smart people.

I have been working at AARP

Pros: The mission and the people. Cons: Hard at times to move through the process. Advice to Senior Management: Focus on interdepartmental cooperation. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on AARP.

Worked for AARP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AARP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins . All reviews posted anonymously by AARP employees.