AARP

www.aarp.org
  www.aarp.org
There are newer employer reviews for AARP

Direction unclear, managers often lack management skills

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP

Pros

There are many great employees here who do excellent work despite management.

Cons

managers who aren't proactive, don't contribute to professional development of their team, etc. numerous cost-cutting measures that negatively impact the quality of the workplace.

151 Other Employee Reviews for AARP (View Most Recent)

Average. Lack of leadership hinders the organization to continue to be relevant in the future.

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP

Pros

Passionate colleagues and work-life balance

Cons

Inept, ego driven senior management

Provide leadership driven by empirical creativity and selflessness.

So much wasted potential

Current Employee - Senior Solution Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP

Pros

Great location and lots of sharp people within an amazing digital strategy group. In three years I gained a wealth of knowledge and grew my skill set just by working side by side with these folks. The social mission is admirable in an ideal world.

Cons

Most of the people I grew from were not in management. No mentorship. The management varies from team to team and there are some great leaders in the organization. In the same breath, most of the management team I encountered on a daily basis were power hungry and paranoid, unwilling to share critical information needed to help in decision making across groups - and even "making up" false data to share instead from time to time, if the false data served a purpose for said management. Reorganization is ongoing on some teams, so many teams never reach the "performing" or even "norming" stage of team cohesion. Group think is a HUGE issue in many departments, with blatent favoritism supported by management. Critical issues tend to get swept under the rug instead of dealt with and improved upon in a professional manner. Often times hostile behavior from favorites is rewarded.

Learn to be accountable and then teach accountability. Learn to manage as a leader with your team as a central focus as opposed to managing as a boss with your career advancement as the central focus and your team as "weapons" in your "battle" to reach the top.

There are newer employer reviews for AARP