ABB Group

www.abb.com
  www.abb.com
There are newer employer reviews for ABB Group

I'm happy, but as anywhere, could be improvements

Current Employee - Associate in Wickliffe, OH
Current Employee - Associate in Wickliffe, OH

I have been working at ABB Group

Pros

Training and development opportunities are widely available and encouraged. Even with the current economic trends, top management supports these initiatives. Corporate culture is supportive, and the company is trying to encourage employees to work beyond traditional lines. However, with such a big company, the silo effect is definitely still prevalent. I have been lucky enough to work with a great team and meet a lot of nice people. They are willing to help and have reasonable expectations. I feel that I am valued and my work makes an impact. I appreciate the opportunity I have been given to work at ABB.

Cons

I really have not gotten enough feedback from my manager. There is just so much going on within the company and our department. I know there are priorities above that, but I feel like I get lost in the mix sometimes. I feel like I could grow a lot more with better feedback. With a global company, there is a priority on alignment, which can be frustrating at times, but ultimately helpful. Because we are such a big company, even regionally, my team is spread out which can make our work a little difficult because I can't just go next door.

Continue to be transparent about the direction the company is moving towards

623 Other Employee Reviews for ABB Group (View Most Recent)

ABB is a very competitive and respectable place of employment.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at ABB Group

Pros

The pay scale seems very competitive and fair. 401k, pension plan, vision, dental and health! Coworkers are always willing to support if needed. The managers are all former Field Service Personnel and know what it takes to get the job done.

Cons

The travel for my particular job is significant. Not good for someone with close family ties. There is a just get the customer taken care of mentality with no regard for the employee needs.

Listen to the needs and concerns of your employees. Some of the low people actually have some helpful things to add.

Average Employee rates and average company

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Wickliffe, OH
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Wickliffe, OH

I worked at ABB Group

Pros

ABB is a Large Company with good benefits. There are many opportunities in other parts of the company if you don't like where you are presently. A large company also rides the vissisitudes of the market easier than a small company. Perhaps the best reason is the benefits. The company does more than it has to in some areas. 401k is average. Vacation is wonderful as is the severence package if you're unlucky enough to use it. They also have good tuition reimbursement and adoption benefits. If you woud rather loaf than work, ABB is the place for you. It's easy to hide in a nook or cranny of the corporate structure if you want.

Cons

Large Company with much politics. Trying to get anything done quickly is impossible. As a marketing manager, it was very difficult working with marketing communications (the people who are responsible for corporate image and rule of how documents and other media should look.) They always shot down our ideas because they didn't fit with the European mentality, even though they fit perfectly with a US customer. ABB is a European company which means most discisions are by committee and consensous instead of a dictator style. Trying to get consensous on everything is impossible or you end up with something that no one likes. The Web site was terrible when I was there but it's improved a bit since then.

Learn how to integrate the ABB portion of the company with the Bailey Controls part of the company better. Job swap programs between Sweden or Switzerland (or Germany) and the US would be helpful. It seems that the Bailey controls sub-group is still thinking like Bailey controls while the European ABB group is pushing things down the necks of the US group without thinking about ramifications.

There are newer employer reviews for ABB Group