ABB (United States)
www.abb.us Cary, NC 5000+ Employees

Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

ProsOffer great benefits for older employees, including 401k match, pension and bonuses. Also offer education assistance towards a degree program. Good for college graduates to accumulate experiences during the first 2-3 years for his first job.

ConsThe HR is the worst in the world. The entire HR system in the company is so flawed. In most other companies, HR is a service department. Here in ABB, HR is an authority. Even line managers have to listen to HR in a lot of things (they basically have veto power), such as the decision to hire someone, the decision to promote someone, or give someone a raise. The efficiency of HR is just unbelievably slow. One guy walked into the HR office and before he could even say a word, the HR lady yelled at him: I am doing this for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is even worse, HR would make up things to managers and employees to let them fight against each other. Totally unethical.

Salary raise is ridiculous. The env does not encourage best performers at all. I made half of what some of the senior technical guys make but did twice the work. That's why it's only good for your first job right out of school. After 2-3 years, you have to move on to somewhere else to pursue other opportunities or you will have to wait forever (10+) for your turn. The benefits and salary mechanism encourages old employees to stay forever. There are so many senior people. Young guys just don't get appreciated, even though their contributions might be much more than old guys. It's a place for retirement and early learning, not when you are at your best.

Advice to Senior Managementreward performance, not seniority

It is a great company to work for and they are paying to further my education.

Test Engineer In Training (Current Employee)
    Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ABB (United States)

Pros: great place to work, easy going bosses and staff. Cons: Its in Oklahoma and it would be nice to live… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It has been a learning experience that has opened the door to a career.

Assembler (Current Employee)
    Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at ABB (United States)

Pros: "family" enviroment, growth from within, job knowledge, great management Cons: salary, promotion opportunities, job role opportunies lacking Advice to Senior Management: communication between business units needs to improve Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on ABB (United States).

Worked for ABB (United States)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ABB (United States) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for ABB (United States) CEO Greg Scheu . All reviews posted anonymously by ABB (United States) employees.