There are newer employer reviews for ABM Industries

It's a Job not a Career

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ABM Industries full-time

Pros

Like many large security companies, they are always seeking to fill security positions because of the ever "revolving" door.

Cons

No realistic chance for advancement opportunities. No additional continual training received after the initial required state and client training. Can not support your family based on the hourly rates. Many employees have a second and even a third job.There is a lack of meaninful communication between upper management and employees and the organization overall. ABM Security Services is just one division of ABM Industries. Other divisions include Janitorial (core division), Parking, HVAC, Electrical, Landscaping, Maintenance, Mechanical, and others. They do not specialize in security like other security companies so not all resorces are alocated solely to security.

Advice to Management

Provide more security training to security officers and superiors and foster a real environment of advancement opportunity. Raise the hourly rates of employees to a livable wage so employees don't have to take on two more jobs and report to work tired and you will be able to retain more employees who are loyal. Meet with your staff periodically to find out the real truth of what is going on within their assigned sites. Raise the bar in the hiring standards. Most of all, thank your employees for doing a good job (when warranted), it will go a long way with your staff.

reviews filtered by

Bait and switch

Former Contractor - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Lots of assignments/contract jobs
    *At the right site, you can learn a lot from journeyman
    *Pay rate is above average for similar positions

Cons

*Contracted jobs can be short-term and subject to change (both location and duration of assignment)
    *False promises of being offered to convert to permanent position
    *Account managers do not screen their supervisors in-depth

Advice to Management

Please better screen personnel who are put in supervisory positions. I've worked at several sites, under contract, only to learn that many of my supervisors knew very little regarding; maintaining inventory, identifying the materials needed, and providing no training or guidance. Many times I've had to manage the area and other utility engineers on my own. Lastly, if there are 2 spots available, which lead to a permanent union position, please be honest about this from the start. Many of my co-workers were all mislead, falsely believing that we all would obtain a permanent position, after our 90 day probation. The reality was, only 2 positions were available, and many "more qualified" people were denied the positions. We were only told this on our 85th day or later, which left us no time to line-up another job. This has happened on several assignments I was employed at, so clearly there is improvement needed on this topic. In fact it would be beneficial to inform all those hired, upfront, which would create a competition, and motivate people to work harder while on the clock.

Avoid Cleveland and LA regional offices

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at ABM Industries full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Part of large organization with deep, vertical integration and sophistication.

Cons

Parking division is immaterial and gets slighted in support resources, disproportionate to its high risk.
    Financial reporting systems are ineffective user-hostile byzantine labyrinths not designed for central control and monitoring of site operations.

Advice to Management

Set the tone at the top for ethical behavior. Put clients' interests before your own. Think beyond the current quarter results. At least pretend to care about the rank and file employees.

There are newer employer reviews for ABM Industries