There are newer employer reviews for ABM Industries

It's a Job not a Career

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at ABM Industries full-time

Pros

Like many large security companies, they are always seeking to fill security positions because of the ever "revolving" door.

Cons

No realistic chance for advancement opportunities. No additional continual training received after the initial required state and client training. Can not support your family based on the hourly rates. Many employees have a second and even a third job.There is a lack of meaninful communication between upper management and employees and the organization overall. ABM Security Services is just one division of ABM Industries. Other divisions include Janitorial (core division), Parking, HVAC, Electrical, Landscaping, Maintenance, Mechanical, and others. They do not specialize in security like other security companies so not all resorces are alocated solely to security.

Provide more security training to security officers and superiors and foster a real environment of advancement opportunity. Raise the hourly rates of employees to a livable wage so employees don't have to take on two more jobs and report to work tired and you will be able to retain more employees who are loyal. Meet with your staff periodically to find out the real truth of what is going on within their assigned sites. Raise the bar in the hiring standards. Most of all, thank your employees for doing a good job (when warranted), it will go a long way with your staff.

98 Other Employee Reviews for ABM Industries (View Most Recent)

Chaotic

Current Employee - Actuary  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Actuary in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people were nice and in general the atmosphere was pleasant enough. It was interesting to learn about the different services ABM offered.

Cons

It was difficult to figure out exactly what senior management wanted and whether their expectations were realistic. Management did not seem to appreciate opinions that differed from their own.

Bait and switch

Former Employee - Utility Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Utility Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ABM Industries as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

*Lots of assignments/contract jobs
    *At the right site, you can learn a lot from journeyman
    *Pay rate is above average for similar positions

Cons

*Contracted jobs can be short-term and subject to change (both location and duration of assignment)
    *False promises of being offered to convert to permanent position
    *Account managers do not screen their supervisors in-depth

Please better screen personnel who are put in supervisory positions. I've worked at several sites, under contract, only to learn that many of my supervisors knew very little regarding; maintaining inventory, identifying the materials needed, and providing no training or guidance. Many times I've had to manage the area and other utility engineers on my own. Lastly, if there are 2 spots available, which lead to a permanent union position, please be honest about this from the start. Many of my co-workers were all mislead, falsely believing that we all would obtain a permanent position, after our 90 day probation. The reality was, only 2 positions were available, and many "more qualified" people were denied the positions. We were only told this on our 85th day or later, which left us no time to line-up another job. This has happened on several assignments I was employed at, so clearly there is improvement needed on this topic. In fact it would be beneficial to inform all those hired, upfront, which would create a competition, and motivate people to work harder while on the clock.

There are newer employer reviews for ABM Industries

Worked for ABM Industries? Contribute to the Community!