There are newer employer reviews for ABM Industries

Great experience in building maintenance support

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Experience and excellent environment to work

Cons

Contract work requiring to be periodically prolonged

More prolong contracts that it would be great?

98 Other Employee Reviews for ABM Industries (View Most Recent)

Coworkers are great at HQ; disjointed work process not so much

Former Employee - Business Development  in  Hopkinsville, KY
    Former Employee - Business Development in Hopkinsville, KY

I worked at ABM Industries full-time for more than a year

Pros

While I have a good amount of cons below, I enjoyed working in the Business Development department very much. The department was close and my coworkers were all easy to get along with. The atmosphere was casual and friendly, and everyone had a great sense of humor that kept things light. I was able to basically shape my job title and responsibilities around my talents, and I enjoyed what I did. Performance recognition within the department was great and gave me a better sense of accomplishment.

Cons

I did not find senior management very approachable, often it was suggested that I run things through my supervisor or the department VP instead of delivering documents to senior management or asking them questions. All the combining of companies (BMAR and OSS acquired by Linc acquired by ABM) has disjointed things a bit internally and probably externally on contracts as well. A lot of bridges with companies LGS previously worked with have been burnt; while blame could be on either side, it made things much more complicated when bidding on contracts. The BD department in general just is not organized very well; rather than employing technical writers and proposal managers like most other companies, LGS uses only proposal managers who often don't know much about the work they are writing about. Sometimes proposals are almost entirely outsourced to expensive consultants. The company lost a few major contracts that they were the incumbent on while I was with them. A lot is done at the last minute; proposal managers and BD supervisors frequently put in 10+ hour days and worked on weekends, especially in the last few days before a proposal was due. More staff and a solid proposal process is needed to keep this from being such a reactionary environment. While I personally enjoyed my job, I don't think I would have been very happy with the stress of being a proposal manager (and I was offered a promotion to one about 3 months before I left, but after agreeing to it nothing progressed with administration/management; I don't know how much longer the wait would have been if I hadn't resigned.)

The BD department needs more technical writers who know about the technical subject matter to do the writing so the proposal managers can focus on the things proposal managers are meant to be doing (interfacing with the government & subcontractors, helping with pricing, coordinating the whole proposal effort, etc.). The by-the-seat-of-our-pants environment that worsened as deadlines drew near was frustrating since there could be better ways of doing things. I'm not sure that the long-term outlook for LGS is that great, especially with all the cost-cutting the DOD is doing.

Dead end street.

Current Employee - Attendant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at ABM Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is so large that once you are settled in and if you need more hours there are plenty of locations where they can send you. Management is detached to the point where they hardly observe your performance, good for you, bad for the company.

Cons

Company and management speak of "advancement opportunities" but merit is overlooked when such opportunities are available.
    Pay is low, good luck getting any type of raise even if you do a great job.
    Management shows lack of judgement for promoting/keeping inept and apathetic supervisors who are unorganized, uninformed, and do as little as possible to maintain their title.
    High turnover rate.

The lack of integrity in management reduces moral of good employees and deteriorates the performance of the team overall. Most of the employees see this as a dead end job where only the friends of management will move up and merit is overlooked especially when management is detached from on site operations.

There are newer employer reviews for ABM Industries

Worked for ABM Industries? Contribute to the Community!