ACRT

No one home

Former Employee - Consulting Utility Forester in Oakland, CA
Former Employee - Consulting Utility Forester in Oakland, CA

I worked at ACRT

Pros

It's an employee-owned company, not that you'd necessarily know it if it wasn't printed on all the trucks.

There's a great deal of independence. You generally choose how you spend your time, and what order to complete your tasks in.

You get to spend a lot (most) of your time outdoors.

You get to go to places you'd never go otherwise (prison, mail-sorting facility, country club. . . ) and see a lot of infrastructure.

Cons

It's like working in a void. 90+% of days, you don't see another ACRT employee, and you run into your supervisor only about once a month when you both happen to be in the office. I had the impression my supervisor pretty much forgot I existed in between time when we would run into each other. I experimented with trying really hard, working way more than I was reporting, and slacking off and working less, and got the same reviews with both approaches.

You get really lonely out there by yourself every day, with only angry customers to talk to, and not that many of them.

Ticks.

Irate customers who don't respect you, your credentials, or the job you're doing.

No sick days, even though you have to work in all weather conditions.

Pay attention to employees. Ask them questions. When they leave, ask them for an exit interview (you'd learn bucketfulls). Since people choose their work start times, give them as much notice as possible before meetings that have early-morning start times.

13 Other Employee Reviews for ACRT (View Most Recent)

good

I have been working at ACRT

Pros

work outside, alone, company vehicle, independence

Cons

rate of pay is lower than other same job at other companies (like ECI)

decrease workload at the scuf level in order to facilitate more hands on new employee training and support for experienced employees. Would also increase employee desire for promotion and upward mobility while retaining quality managers. Compensation at ACRT is also relatively low when compared with others in the field who also offer a personal vehicle and comparable benefits package.

Great training and resource for industry

I worked at ACRT full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training, continuing education, benefits, ESOP, non-subsidiary

Cons

Wages, poor advancement opportunity, contract restrictions, high turn over in entry level positions

There are newer employer reviews for ACRT