Great People, Mission Driven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ACT is a Mission Driven Not-For-Profit. This is not a place to work if you're a climber, focusing on your income only. People work here for the quality of life, the beautiful campus and facility, wellness programs, unbelievable benefits, and fair pay for an NFP.

Cons

Biggest con of working here is the organization is undergoing a major reorganization as they modernize systems, process, and try to help their people adapt to the rapidly changing world of assessment. ACT has been doing the same things for a long time really well, it is working through a good many changes and there are a few bumps!

Advice to Management

People coming in from the outside are not necessarily better than the loyal employees who are invested in the company and it's future. Focus on clearer succession and promotion planning for people who deserve it. Make the people you currently employ, their development and skill improvement your focus.

Other Employee Reviews for ACT (Iowa City)

Loving and challenging

Former Employee - Facilitastor in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Facilitastor in Carlisle, PA

I worked at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for ACT, because every day was a new day. Becky Varner was a great boss and way always available to talk.

Cons

I had to work the weekends and overnight shift, which meant that I missed out on my weekends with my husband.

Advice to Management

I loved my boss and how she worked, but I think she needs an assistant to take care of the paperwork and minor stuff while she then can focus on the bigger issues.

Used to be great, now I want to throw up in my mouth.

Current Employee - Specialist in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Specialist in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT (Iowa City) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some benefits are above average. The campus is nice.

Cons

Zero loyalty to existing staff. They'll outsource you in a heartbeat if they find a way and think it saves them even a nickel. I haven't been reached yet but I know it's only a matter of time. Incompetent management. The CEO is an imbecile with no understanding of the business and is known to fall asleep during key meetings. The strategic goals are never met and change far too often. Insecurity. We were encouraged by management to contribute good reviews to offset reviews by those who left voluntarily or who were recently outsourced. Who does that?

Advice to Management

Most senior management does not care about the long-term well-being of ACT and are in it to pad resumes in the short term. They should all resign and be ashamed of what they did to a once-great company. I really mean this.