ACT

www.act.org
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

Great vision, mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

co-workers, campus, challenges, work-life balance

Cons

ability to execute on strategic plan (agreement at the highest levels)

81 Other Employee Reviews for ACT (View Most Recent)

Amazing colleagues, great mission, moving in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- ACT is full of great employees - not only are they some of the smartest people you can find, but they are some of the most caring, driven, and supportive people you could wish to work with. I can't say enough positive things about the people I have worked with in many different areas of the company
    - Benefits are good - in addition to excellent healthcare and retirement match, employees have 3 weeks of vacation, 6 personal/floating holidays, 10 sick days, 1 volunteer day, and a large number of company holidays. Also several perks such as local discounts, on site fitness classes, etc are available
    - ACT has a current focus on learning and has many opportunities to take on new projects and learn both in the classroom and on the job
    - Beautiful campus, good quality facilities

Cons

- Career growth is slow or non-existent. Despite lots of opportunity to take on more responsibility and learn and become involved in new projects, there is little recognition for extra initiative and promotions are few and far between for most.
    - Pay is average or low compared to similar jobs elsewhere. This is probably partly due to being a non-profit. Raises for performance were 2% for most employees this year.
    - ACT is going through a lot of change right now and that can be challenging for those who are not flexible and who have trouble adjusting to things constantly changing around them. This will not be forever but right now makes ACT a great employer for some personalities and a difficult one for others.

ACT's mission and work are rewarding, but financial rewards should not be overlooked. It doesn't matter how much I love contributing to education and workplace success, I still have to pay my bills and costs are rising much faster than wages. This is not a problem unique to ACT but ACT is willing to invest in so many initiatives that it is surprising the investment in pay/rewards is as little as it is.

The times they are a changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, work environment and campus. New CEO is bringing in a lot of out side staff to help move from a command and control management structure to one of empowerment and innovation.

Cons

Still some of the old guard hanging onto the past but it is starting to change. Also people from the outside don't always respect some of the past success that did occur. This doesn't mean we shouldn't change but also there are some things that ACT has always done well that need to not be totally lost.

Continue to push the change in culture but do not try to do to much at one time.

There are newer employer reviews for ACT