ACT

www.act.org

A good place to work

Former Employee - Test Development Associate  in  Iowa City, IA
Former Employee - Test Development Associate in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Humane, fairly enlightened work environment. The CEO and upper management are agents of change. The old guard is moving out and a much different profile exists now. Acts competitive although it is a nonprofit. Beautiful campus. Much improved internal communication. Departments may vary, but I found my input valued no matter what position I held. Onsite cafeteria a plus. Easy access from I-80 a plus for commuters.

Cons

Pay could be better; benefits are average to above average.

Keep on the path you have already charted.

Other reviews for ACT

Excellent Place, Great People, Noble Mission

Current Employee - Senior Investigative Data Analyst  in  Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Investigative Data Analyst in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Modern corporate structure, and very collectivist and empowering culture, where at the end of the day, if something's good for the company and our mission as a whole, it's welcomed, not discouraged. In the past the structure was more hierarchical, but in the recent years, things are dramatically improving for the better, with internal barriers breaking down, and less isolated "silos" than ever before in ACT's past. I highly reccommend this company to anyone. Furthermore, you sleep well at night, knowing your work is improving the quality of education, not only nationwide, but internationally as well, and more and more each day as we expand our reach.

Cons

This was really hard to think of anything for this category, but if I had to stretch, I'd say more money is always an enternal goal for any workforce, but I haven't had the notion that it's really any worse here than competitors are willing to pay, and I'd say pay is competitive, albeit not astoundingly better than other places would pay. I don't know, perhaps if you don't like the snow, the winters can get a bit harsh.

Keep up the good work, but continue to remain aware of your competitors, in order to not only continue recruiting the best talent, but also to keep them here.

ACT is a good company that has plenty of room to grow for the better.

Current Employee - Test Development Associate  in  Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Test Development Associate in Iowa City, IA

Pros

You'll have smart colleagues and nice working hours. The vacation pay is adequate and some of the supervisors are modern and open to new ideas.

Cons

Unfortunately, some supervisors are too anal-retentive/strict. Your experience will depend heavily on who you're working under. The pay is below industry average and lower than competitors in Iowa City. The very best employees seem to me to be very overworked.

Upper management would do well to modernize and increase salaries. Some of this restructuring is ongoing, and seems to be going well so far.

There are newer employer reviews for ACT.

Worked for ACT? Contribute to the Community!