ACT

www.act.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

Knew I was going to quit on my second day

Former Employee - Temp Slave in Iowa City, IA
Former Employee - Temp Slave in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The campus is nice to walk around during breaks. Good for college students with no job experience who want to make more than minimum wage.

Cons

By objective standards, I was doing as much work as 6 of my coworkers put together, yet there was no motivation or reward for doing so.

If you enjoy sitting in a poorly lit, barren basement for 8 hours a day with a bunch of unemployed college grads grading an endless amount of tests, this is the job for you. Do you know what our thanks was for finishing all the test grading early? Losing our jobs.

If you happen to earn a raise/promotion as a temp, expect to lose it on the next project. There is zero job security, and they dangle the prospect of a full-time job on the temps (over 50% of the company are temp), yet you might as well play the lottery with those odds. There is nothing here to even hint at encouraging employees to get work done and many of the longtime temps (some have been there for 6 years!) sit on facebook all day without reprimand or termination.

I left as soon as the project was over, and never looked back.

Treat your employees like actual people, and fire the incompetent management.

90 Other Employee Reviews for ACT (View Most Recent)

Great People, Mission Driven

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

ACT is a Mission Driven Not-For-Profit. This is not a place to work if you're a climber, focusing on your income only. People work here for the quality of life, the beautiful campus and facility, wellness programs, unbelievable benefits, and fair pay for an NFP.

Cons

Biggest con of working here is the organization is undergoing a major reorganization as they modernize systems, process, and try to help their people adapt to the rapidly changing world of assessment. ACT has been doing the same things for a long time really well, it is working through a good many changes and there are a few bumps!

People coming in from the outside are not necessarily better than the loyal employees who are invested in the company and it's future. Focus on clearer succession and promotion planning for people who deserve it. Make the people you currently employ, their development and skill improvement your focus.

good experience

I worked at ACT (less than a year)

Pros

I was assigned to long term position

Cons

I don't think they are in business in this area anymore

There are newer employer reviews for ACT