There are newer employer reviews for ACT

ACT

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work and life balance still exists. Co-workers throughout company for the most part are great people to work with or for. Work environment is still casual dress. Supervisors work with you for time-off requests........especially for family-related activities.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between levels and between different departments. Salaries are still not equal to positions in other businesses, but benefits are excellent. There is feeling between FT employees that there is too many "chiefs" and not enough "indians". Not many opportunities to move up the ladder unless you are specialized.

Some management need to give their direct reports some room to grow. There is no reason to rule with an iron fist.

67 Other Employee Reviews for ACT (View Most Recent)

Life of a temp at ACT

Former Employee - Temp  in  Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Temp in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working in a mailroom type setting, I never felt the need to "take work home with me." This is a huge pro for me. Also, the hours were pretty reasonable....I believe it was 8:30-5, with a half hour for lunch and two 15-minute breaks throughout the day.

ACT periodically offers temp work, such as scoring tests, quality checking, etc, so if you're in need of something short term, they might be a good place to look.

Cons

While the hours and work-life balance was good, opportunity for advancement (to join the company, not as a temp) were not as promising. I started in October, and was only kept until mid-December. With an BA in English, I had hoped to maybe be kept on permanently. Nope.

Also, the morale in the area where I worked was pretty bleak. People were not allowed to listen to music, and we were discouraged from having conversations. It was very much an "assembly line" type environment, which wasn't a good fit for me.

Try to hire on more temps. Many of us are recent UI grads who would love to get a foot in the door at ACT and are qualified to perform the work.

Also, consider let graders and quality checkers listen to music. For many of us, it helps us focus and actually improve the quality of our work.

Great People & Benefits

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great health benefits, you receive vacation time, most holidays off, sick leave, and even volunteer time, the people are supportive, you can get tuition reimbursement, and there are opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The pay is not quite as high, in such a large company it can sometimes be difficult to find the right person to get what you need, things often change quickly so you need to be flexible, sometimes strong work performance does not seem to matter as much as networking.

I think it would be helpful if there were rewards for meeting certain goals so you feel like doing a good job matters, even if it is just some kind of recognition or thank you note from management.

There are newer employer reviews for ACT

Worked for ACT? Contribute to the Community!