www.act.org
There are newer employer reviews for ACT

Current Employee - Coordinator in Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Coordinator in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work and life balance still exists. Co-workers throughout company for the most part are great people to work with or for. Work environment is still casual dress. Supervisors work with you for time-off requests........especially for family-related activities.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between levels and between different departments. Salaries are still not equal to positions in other businesses, but benefits are excellent. There is feeling between FT employees that there is too many "chiefs" and not enough "indians". Not many opportunities to move up the ladder unless you are specialized.

Some management need to give their direct reports some room to grow. There is no reason to rule with an iron fist.

88 Other Employee Reviews for ACT (View Most Recent)

A lot of great people, a lot of hard work.

Current Employee - Manager, Development in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Manager, Development in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at ACT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and their spirit to do the best work possible

Cons

The deadlines handed down from Leadership are almost impossible to meet and communication from leadership is still wanting, though there is an effort to address that. It needs to be much more though.

Do not provide lip service only to better communication and direction. Share the vision with the rest of the company and simply be straight forward about the company's future plans. Your employees will manage the work with a much better attitude if you treat us with the respect of clear and meaningful communications about where we are headed and why.

Life of a temp at ACT

Former Employee - Temp in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Temp in Iowa City, IA

I worked at ACT as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Working in a mailroom type setting, I never felt the need to "take work home with me." This is a huge pro for me. Also, the hours were pretty reasonable....I believe it was 8:30-5, with a half hour for lunch and two 15-minute breaks throughout the day.

ACT periodically offers temp work, such as scoring tests, quality checking, etc, so if you're in need of something short term, they might be a good place to look.

Cons

While the hours and work-life balance was good, opportunity for advancement (to join the company, not as a temp) were not as promising. I started in October, and was only kept until mid-December. With an BA in English, I had hoped to maybe be kept on permanently. Nope.

Also, the morale in the area where I worked was pretty bleak. People were not allowed to listen to music, and we were discouraged from having conversations. It was very much an "assembly line" type environment, which wasn't a good fit for me.

Try to hire on more temps. Many of us are recent UI grads who would love to get a foot in the door at ACT and are qualified to perform the work.

Also, consider let graders and quality checkers listen to music. For many of us, it helps us focus and actually improve the quality of our work.

There are newer employer reviews for ACT