There are newer employer reviews for ADG Creative

There's no place like home.

Current Employee - Designer in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Designer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at ADG Creative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Earlier this year I was given the opportunity to leave ADG and go to a different company. I took the opportunity thinking that perhaps I would learn and grow more if I went somewhere else. A few months in, after I was submerged into the new environment, I realized that what I wanted to learn and experience, I actually walked away from.

One morning I woke up sad, struggling to understand what this career path was that I was following, I thought to myself, "I want to go home(thinking about ADG)." When I came in to work that morning I had an email from Jeff that read, "It's time for you to stop playing for the little league, and come back to play for the pros."

That day changed my whole perspective. The whole time I was at the other company, I couldn't stop talking about how amazing and talented the people were at ADG, and how much I enjoyed the monday morning breakfasts. Not just for the food portion of it, although I do really enjoy that, but the fact that I got to see some of my favorite people. I love the culture, the exciting projects and how close everyone is - we have each others backs. And at the end of the day we provide clients with work that makes a difference. Not too many people can say that about their jobs...

I guess the point that I'm making here, is that I thought the grass would be greener on the other side, but I was wrong. There is no place like ADG. Yes, there are days that you have to work a little later, and sometimes that day lasts a couple of weeks. But, it's not everyday, it's not unnoticed, and it's for an amazing purpose. I'm not a manager, just a designer in the federal space. So before you believe all the negative things you read online, realize that ADG is filled with people that love what they do and where they work - they just express it offline. Take it from me, I'm happy to be home.

~Tatyana

Cons

People take it for granted.

18 Other Employee Reviews for ADG Creative (View Most Recent)

It's unfortunate...

I worked at ADG Creative full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are very high levels of talent in the design and developer teams and interesting but not unique projects. They have a nice building with good equipment and free coffee.

Cons

ADG has a toxic culture of micromanagement, fear, bullying, and lies with a complete disregard for work life balance that results in a high turn over. Many if not all of the issues stem from ineffective middle management and senior strategists. On most jobs leadership ego drives tasks over creative processes, collaboration, and even client requests. There is no mentoring or consideration for individual growth topped off by forced attendance for social events and excessive unpaid overtime. There is great potential but unfortunately will likely continue to be unrealized.

Take an honest look at your staff, culture, and projects and ask how much matches what you claim to represent. Consider how many times you can write off a departing employee as "they could not handle the challenges" when former employees continue to stay in the same field and become effective at equally challenging projects in other environments.

ADG has an authenticity problem

Former Employee - Applications Programmer in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Applications Programmer in Columbia, MD

I worked at ADG Creative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful workspace, well equipped, fun parties and challenging projects. There are truly talented people working at ADG, and they want the best for their clients.

Cons

Simply put, ADG has an authenticity problem.

For example, look at their office space. It's a facade, like a movie set. Instead of moving in to a neighborhood with a cool coffee bar cafe, they built their own, inside the agency. (This speaks volumes about the owner's controlling personality. Keep the employees where we can see them!) It makes for a nice tour for prospective clients, but sooner or later they realize, "Hey, I'm paying for this fake coffee bar..." and question the value they're getting. Time after time, we've seen agencies who invest in this fluff finding themselves fragile, no longer able to be nimble, straining under the crushing weight of overhead while leaner, up and coming organizations nip at their heels.

The work suffers from a lack of authenticity, too, mainly because all creative work is done under the looming shadow of the CEO, who has the final say on everything. "Hands on" is an understatement, here. Management claims a culture of collaboration, but in reality the creative staff quickly learns to stay within the comfort zone of the CEO, or face his often public wrath. Needless to say, turnover is high.

All of the cool stuff on display at ADG (the coffee bar, the workout room, the beer taps, etc...) are part of this elaborate facade. Employees simply don't have the luxury of enjoying them. They throw big parties, but make all of the employees wear uniforms. (And nothing says "creative" like a uniform, even if it is a hipster bowling shirt.) How ironic that the CEO has a quote from The Wizard of Oz ("Nobody gets to see the wizard!") above his door.

Given the size of your organization, you've little choice but to keep feeding the machine. Squirrel away funds for the eventual rainy day, because it will come. The streets are littered with the remains of creative organizations that enjoy some success, grow beyond their means, then collapse under their own weight. That's my fear for ADG. In the end, who's loyal to you? Who will stay with you when the going gets tough? Your employees? Your clients? Your family?

There are newer employer reviews for ADG Creative