ADG Creative

There are newer employer reviews for ADG Creative

A great stepping stone, even if not a 10+ year job

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at ADG Creative full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You'll build some great relationships at ADG, get your hands into amazing products that use some of the most futuristic display technologies in the field, work with lifer clients that would invite you to their child's birthday party, and have budgets that are unheard of at the typical commercial agency.

I won't insult the place or the people by ranking the frivolous perks up here as most important, but I will include the hosted professional events by AIGA and other industry greats as mentionable boons.

Cons

The larger retention issues tend to be around professional growth. ADG's been trying to resolve that issue with new review processes, but it still remains.

The eager staff who come through are amazing at what they do, are enamored with the office for the first year, then suffer waning interest as they begin to realize there is no up or across. You'll need a personality type that forces growth discussions, because they generally won't come to you. Simply put, the agency hasn't figured out a mentorship structure, cross-disciplinary brainstorming, or basic "ownership" incentives like profit-sharing or a partnership track.

Ultimately, people leave with inner conflict when they plateau.

You already know this, but emphasize helping ADGers imagine their future—with ADG remaining an important part of the picture.

• Support cross-disciplinary growth; have a designer draft a proposal and a developer sketch a functional navigation pattern.

• Prioritize mentorship and internal projects as part of the 40-hour week—not above and beyond.

• Delegate; create swat teams for smaller low-budget projects, leave leadership out of the picture, and trust the professionals you hired are more than capable to knock it out of the park even if they stumble a bit.

-----

Despite the mixed reviews on Glassdoor, I certainly don't regret working at ADG and remain quite fond of the work, the environment, and the people (even the leadership). I was able to fill out my practice area, have candid discussions about my professional growth aspirations, and choose the types of projects I wanted to invest more time and ownership in. ADG prepared me for the next step in my career.

18 Other Employee Reviews for ADG Creative (View Most Recent)

Is the Bermuda Triangle located in Columbia?

I have been working at ADG Creative full-time

Pros

The relationships you will form with the other worker bees at ADG Creative will be wonderful. The talent that this agency attracts is unbelievable.

Cons

Employees aren't given the benefit of the doubt that they know how to perform their jobs. The CEO manages this company like Kim Jong-un overseas the DPRK. While you have amazing colleagues, eventually you will burn out as you see there is no upward momentum for a job well done and that much of your personal time is spent working. Retention rates are through the roof. One day you'll be working with someone, and the next day, without warning, management is escorting them out of the building.

If you want to increase morale, stop firing those who work the hardest. Employees are too busy wondering who will be pushed out next to concentrate on their work. Employees are what makes a company, and you have (and have had) some extremely talented folks. Incentive and reward those who work hard. Stop trying to manage every minute detail and give those you've hired the ability to do what you've hired them too.

There's no place like home.

Current Employee - Designer in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Designer in Columbia, MD

I have been working at ADG Creative full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Earlier this year I was given the opportunity to leave ADG and go to a different company. I took the opportunity thinking that perhaps I would learn and grow more if I went somewhere else. A few months in, after I was submerged into the new environment, I realized that what I wanted to learn and experience, I actually walked away from.

One morning I woke up sad, struggling to understand what this career path was that I was following, I thought to myself, "I want to go home(thinking about ADG)." When I came in to work that morning I had an email from Jeff that read, "It's time for you to stop playing for the little league, and come back to play for the pros."

That day changed my whole perspective. The whole time I was at the other company, I couldn't stop talking about how amazing and talented the people were at ADG, and how much I enjoyed the monday morning breakfasts. Not just for the food portion of it, although I do really enjoy that, but the fact that I got to see some of my favorite people. I love the culture, the exciting projects and how close everyone is - we have each others backs. And at the end of the day we provide clients with work that makes a difference. Not too many people can say that about their jobs...

I guess the point that I'm making here, is that I thought the grass would be greener on the other side, but I was wrong. There is no place like ADG. Yes, there are days that you have to work a little later, and sometimes that day lasts a couple of weeks. But, it's not everyday, it's not unnoticed, and it's for an amazing purpose. I'm not a manager, just a designer in the federal space. So before you believe all the negative things you read online, realize that ADG is filled with people that love what they do and where they work - they just express it offline. Take it from me, I'm happy to be home.

~Tatyana

Cons

People take it for granted.

There are newer employer reviews for ADG Creative