There are newer employer reviews for ADT Security Services

NIGHTMARE... Unemployment is better than this

Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative  in  Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a twenty word minimum, so I have to type something. I guess the free trip for training was nice.

Cons

Where do I start? Constant turnover of employees should tell you something. If you stay there more than five months, you're already one of the "senior" reps and are expected to run sales calls with new suckers they hired.

The auto allowance is pitiful. I was filling up my gas tank 3 or 4 times a week because they would send me all over the NE Ohio area. So many employees leave so quickly, territories were thrown out the window. I'd often drive over 200 miles a day for company appointments that never showed up. That brings me to my next point, the company appointments. Many were empty fields or abandoned buildings that hadn't been touched in years. Some of these did not even have a phone number attached to call to confirm, and if they did, our manager did not want us doing that. They give you money for cell phone reimbursement, but you better have an unlimited plan with all the minutes you will eat up on pointless conference calls.

Ever have a commission based sales job and have to strictly report to your boss' schedule? Yeah, neither did I. Production didn't matter at all. They micro managed you to death. Mandatory office time in the morning, regardless of where your territory was or where you had appointments scheduled. An appointment could be 40 miles west of your home, which is 20 miles west of the office, but they still expected you drive to the office and add an extra 40 miles to your day! What made it worse, is there is literally nothing at the office that can not be accessed remotely. They don't even give you a computer at your desk. It's a phone and a phone book and you have to fight everyone else in the office for one of the available computers if you want to look up any customer information or print any forms. They give you an iPad with 3G connectivity now, but what's the point if they don't let you use it to its' potential?

If that wasn't bad enough, be ready to give up a weeknight every week to call residential call lists (I thought I was small business?) and give up a Saturday once a month. Keep in mind, they are not paying you a salary for any of this...

Now, let's just say that you finally get lucky and get to pitch to someone, you will quickly find that ADT's prices are an absolute joke compared to the rest of the industry, and in this economy, small business owners do not care about reputation or name, just the bottom line. Any competitor that comes in before or after you will be pitching rates for monitoring and install at least half of what you are. They will tell you that Pulse is the best technology out there, but every other company has something similar and in some cases, a step or two better.

Training is non-existent. They send you for a week for what they call "quick start" training, which literally teaches you a half a day of what ADT's products are and the other four days how to overcome what they call the "buying cycle." This training should have been my first clue as to what I was in for. Locally, your manager will not be available for any ongoing training. They are too busy on conference calls with area and regional managers for you. The only interaction you will have with them is to ask why your numbers are where they are.

Wake up and join the 21st century. Your pricing structure sucks and you treat your sales reps like absolute trash. Managers are too bogged down by conference calls and pressure from above to train and develop as they should. Giving employees iPads is a great step into the modern world, but get away from tedious paper processes and making reps stay on hold on a 1-800 number to just call in a sale. You give everyone in sales a 3G iPad, move on to paperless forms and reporting already.

634 Other Employee Reviews for ADT Security Services (View Most Recent)

No Salary .. Poor Management

Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative  in  Miramar, FL
    Current Employee - Residential Sales Representative in Miramar, FL

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Benefits .. Decent Office .. Good Co Workers.. Decent Uniforms .. but the real message is that's about all that is good about this position..

Cons

Basically you spend your gas ,wear and tear of your vehicle and compensation does not match your out of pocket expense. ( 75 a week and you spend 200 just on Gas !! )
    Alot of Door to Door, Cold Calling from old List and Mostly DNC numbers.
    Appointments are Controlled by Mgr's and not equally distributed and Mgr's are mostly incompetent cheerleaders and tend to micro-manage by constantly texting or calling you without compensating you for your phone charges ( they assume everyone has a unlimited plan). They don't train you completely of what you need or apprise you of important details to do your job which turns into high turnover once you see your check which they tell you to start is Salary + Commission but that's only to get you in and in 45 days it's Strictly Commission only with up to 6 month of Charge Backs of commissioned paid for cancelled customer order's.
    And most importantly, you are expected to Generate Self Generated New business at 6 a month when even if an account has been dormant for like 10 years it doesn't count and they make it a resale and not give you credit for it.
    Lying to customers is the norm ie : Hidden Fees, Permit Charges, Install Charges so you can imagine customers frustration when they call for the 99 Alarm package that everyone see's on TV and you tell them the total is more like 500 and everything is charged a-la-cart.
    Customer's then turn to you for answers when installation are cancelled without even a courtesy phone call to reschedule from install dept or install tech show up and walk away from jobs because they don't have the parts in their possession.

Reorganize and Make this a Salary Position + Commission and Train your Managers to be Competent ...

With hard work and thick skin you can make money

Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Small Business Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay if you network and prospect. Be innovative in your approach to finding business and you will do fine. Sit at home all day and you will fail. Very flexible, nice office.

Cons

Installation and other customer service areas have no incentive to insure a job you sell get installed. If they screw something up and the job doesn't get installed you are the only one not getting paid. Commission only, sink or swim.

Provide sales reps with the ability to better serve customers. Coordination between sales and install could use improvement.

There are newer employer reviews for ADT Security Services

Worked for ADT Security Services? Contribute to the Community!