ITS NOT A JOB WHEN YOU ENJOY IT

Former Employee - Adt Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Former Employee - Adt Sales Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ADT had great training and supervisors by your side at all times.
You were providing customers comfort by informing them about their home security.
The pay was worth every bit of my job.
Unlike other companies, ADT taught me many different departments of the job.
Examples, complaints, billing, setting appointments etc.

Cons

Only downside is that you have to be on your tippy toes because one mistake can have a customer returning their system.

But its like that for any company.

Advice to Management

YOU GUYS ARE DOING A GREAT JOB!

reviews filtered by

Fast paced, self managed, man of many faces

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at ADT Security Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, pay can be good if you work 12+hrs a day

Cons

management is driven by new business, control leads, you are the point of contact for customer, handle all needs while trying to focus on selling

Advice to Management

sales reps are the key to any company, treat them as individuals not just the bottom of the poll

You get out of it what you put into it

Former Employee - Residential Resale Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Residential Resale Representative in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ADT Security Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked there for five years in what they call residential retention sales. Lots of autonomy, potential to make decent money (not great)

Cons

Managers tend to be micromanagers, overwhelming amounts of paperwork both for doing business as well as doing reports, activity logs, etc. Joke in my office was ADT = Another Dead Tree. They'll hire any one with a pulse and a car, training is negligible, and management is in constant rotation. At one point my manager changed 8 times in 10 months. In 5 years, It's a 100% commission job, so no sales = no paycheck. I had 5 different pay plans, and with each change, it got progressively worse for sales people. No sick pay, vacation pay when I was there was $35/day. So if I sell 5 units in a week at the end of the month, I could make $1000-$1500, but if I go on vacation that week instead, I get $175. Opportunity for advancement is slim, and if you do advance, your reward is basically more hours, almost all stuck behind a desk, for less money than you made when you were selling. It's a shame when at a company the size of ADT, you can be a top 5 sales person in a region (top 100 in the entire country) and not be earning 6 figures. Keep in mind my information is based on my time there, which ended in 2009. Things may have changed since then. But based on talking to the people I still know there, they haven't changed much.

Advice to Management

Invest time in hiring quality, qualified people and building teams, rather than going for volume and seeing who sticks. Pick a commission plan and stick with it. Reward sales people for selling. A colleague I had there was consistently, year to year at about 150% of his quota. The year I started, he made well over $100K. The year before I left he was selling about the same amount, but was down well under $100K because of the ever changing commission plans. Also, base vacation pay on an average of the earnings of a salesperson over a period of time. Invest more in training and support for those that need it, and recognize that not all sales people need the same level of support!