AECOM
www.aecom.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

AECOM is a truly awful place to work

Principal Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at AECOM

ProsFlexibility in work hours. It will feel good to leave. Makes me appreciate my past job which I wish I never left.

Cons• Totally unethical company based on lies and corruption. How AECOM ever received an award for being ethical is incredible. Must have been by bribery.
• Constant harassment about billability (utilization), yet keep hiring more “business development managers” who have 0% billability.
• Threaten employees with redundancy due to their low billability whilst hiring new staff with same or similar skills.
• Culture of exclusion. Only group leaders and their inner circle deal with clients. People who actually work on the projects are kept in the background and don’t even meet the client. Groups have sub-groups such as “Project Delivery Group”, ”Leadership Group”, “Business Development Group”, “Client Relationship Group” and “Research Group” which consist of same select few individuals and exclude everyone else. Most group members don’t know the existence of the sub-groups. Only select individuals attend client functions, give presentations at professional meetings etc. Project Delivery Group treats itself to lunch at expensive restaurant for its “success in delivering projects” which were actually delivered by the people who worked on them. Complete insult.
• Group leader who bullied team members and was total jerk was promoted to Technical Director despite widespread complaints to management.
• Reward and recognition is based on favouritism rather than actual achievement. Awards given for totally trivial accomplishments like sending out a client survey, while real achievements are ignored.
• Unfair promotion process that is not based on merit or credentials.
• People taking credit for the work of others and getting promoted on that basis. Cutting and pasting of other people’s work into conference papers and presentations and making false claims on CPEng career episode reports is endorsed by management.
• Company is so paranoid that it has a social media policy to try and control anything negative on the internet. Surprised AECOM hasn’t managed to close down Glassdoor. Suspect it is behind all those five star ratings.
• Expectation to work significant extra hours without any additional pay or reward.
• Expectation to keep up to date with technical developments but AECOM won’t pay for attendance at conferences and seminars.
• Management pretends to care about employee satisfaction but does nothing about legitimate complaints.
• No privacy. People constantly picking up stuff on your desk, reading your e-mails on your monitor, stealing pens and reference materials.
• Americanisation at its worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy would you reward and promote someone who is well known to be a bully? Why don't you listen to employees? Why don't you care? Think you're invincible just because you're big? Or are you just plain stupid? I'm out of here.

Company in turmoil

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at AECOM

Pros: Most of the positives have been eroded since retiring legacy brand… Cons: Seems to be interested only in mega size projects. No apparent investment into business integration. Company is obsessed with micromanagement, pushing "one size fits all"… Advice to Senior Management: Start listening to your staff around the world if you want the business to be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Overall productive, learned a lot.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at AECOM

Pros: Large firm, a lot to learn. Cons: Too large, not very personable Advice to Senior Management: More attention to detail and organization. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on AECOM.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AECOM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke. All reviews posted anonymously by AECOM employees.