Great people, poor management - always in flux

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Saint Albans, England (UK)
Former Employee - Consultant in Saint Albans, England (UK)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. Good mixture of staff at the 'shop floor' level. Some very talented and hard working people below management level. Good benefits. Used to be a good and varied workload.

Cons

Steady decline in workload and opportunities due to recession. Global company, but only relocation opportunities are to the Middle East. Ineffective matrix structure. Poor management within business unit resulting in low bid success rate. Too much emphasis on billable hours, resulting in unpaid overtime for proposal and admin work. No recognition from management.

Try rewarding the actual workers rather than the extremely unproductive upper-middle management. Focus on work output rather than pie in the sky ideas.

Other Reviews for AECOM

MIddle East Experience

Current Employee - NONE
    Current Employee - NONE

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredible projects and opportunities. The fast pace of the work environment enable one to experience and grow more in terms of career, providing you have good leadership.

Cons

U,S centric mindsets which continues to apply the theory that one size fits all.

If U.S is to provide input to Middle East or other Geographies in the company, please at least they have a basic understanding of country policies, political climate, social environment, internal business knowledge and an appreciation and respect for those trying hard to support an AMERICAN company in a foreign country. People in the US do not always know best. Listen to your people on the ground, you can learn a lot from them.

Benefits

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They are among the best I know..... currently

Cons

As mentioned in so many other comments AECOM is concentrating on Utilization... waiting for the day everyone other than corporate pays for themselves. Yes also as mentioned MAJOR changes are coming and I am certained that our wonderful benefits are at the top of the list! We were asked in April to prepare for open enrollment for year 2013 benefits.

None....just venting.... can't imagine they would care even if they did read it. it's all about our stock - not humanity!

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!