AECOM
www.aecom.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Waiting in line to die

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI get a paycheck every other week. It's enough to survive in Manhattan on.
The projects are actually decently interesting. I have learned a lot, and gotten some good experience for my resume ;-). And now that my 401k vested, it's time to put that experience to work.

ConsThe company is completely disfunctional. Engineers are expected to do the Accountants' jobs. What the accountants actually do makes no sense, and only makes your life more difficult. It takes a month to get the 6 approvals necessary to install new software on your computer. Internal competition is rampant. Offices directly compete with each other over work. The idea of "working on a team" is non-existent.

Opportunity for advancement is minimal. As a technical person you become "the guy" of something, but have no opportunity to ever do anything else, which is not exactly what a 25 year old engineer is looking to do.

The other option is to become a Project Manager which is a High Risk/Low Reward position. Basically, the only way I've seen the company win projects is to vastly under-price the work. It then becomes the PM's job to pick up the pieces. And when the project inevitably loses money, it's the PM's fault. If by some miracle you do manage to finish a project on schedule and budget, there is no reward. I really don't understand how this company can be making money.

Basically, working here is like waiting in line to die. I'm still alive, but what's the point. I look at people who have been working here for a long time and either feel sorry for them, or want to throw up. Time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementCash out while you can, and buy that house in Bermuda. This business model is broken, and I don't think there's any way to fix it.

You're Just A Number

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Convenient location near public transportation, cool staff, friends, steady paycheck,… Cons: Share some of the downsides of working at AECOM? "Soul-crushing" and "you're just a number" are the most accurate descriptions of AECOM. When I was… Advice to Senior Management: Advice to management? Read these reviews. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Soul Crushing, Morality Manipulating, Confidence Crushing Machine

Richmond, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: A paycheck in a down economy. Cons: Cannot even begin to start this novel for fear of my livelihood.… Advice to Senior Management: The next time you hear something to the affect of "Has no one learned a thing from Rome," better listen up. Your employees… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on AECOM.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AECOM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke. All reviews posted anonymously by AECOM employees.