There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Meh

Former Employee - Consultant II in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Consultant II in Portland, OR

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare and a good start for anyone directly out of college. While employed here, I heard great thing about the water and engineering groups.

Cons

Not a great place for high performers, as the company structure does not support rapid promotion. It is a rather top heavy company, so you will have a lot of upper management that are strictly there to keep tabs on your billability (I believe those resources could be better used).

Get rid of about 30% of the upper management. Promote and reward great performers and provide them with means to succeed.

856 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

Kicking water uphill would be more rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A steady paycheck and decent health insurance in a down economy are the only major positive aspects of this job. Being at the lowest possible level of the organizational ladder also allows for leaving work at the door when going home for the day.

Cons

I could write a book and would still not have enough space to adequately express my dissatisfaction with nearly every facet of this job that does not involve drawing a regular paycheck.

Employees are treated as numbers on productivity reports. We have no worth outside of increasing shareholder value, which has been directly stated as our prime directive in multiple meetings.

Senior employees from multiple legacy organizations absorbed by AECOM sing the praises of how things used to be. New employees march as instructed until they're sufficiently indoctrinated, or they give up and quit within six months.

Management has little or no direct knowledge of the functions they oversee. There is little room for the advancement of truly skilled and dedicated employees -- managers seem only to hire their friends (externally or internally). Career advancement is a myth for entry-level employees within the current structure.

When the job market improves, there will be a mass exodus of talented employees. Prepare accordingly.

Large professional services, trying to cover the whole built environment value chain

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a someone with a "built environment" career track (engineer, architect, etc.) , it's a good place to work, with good career possibilities. Though it's hard to identify a career path within the company for someone coming from a business background.

Cons

Sprawling company that has grown by numerous mergers/acquisitions, and hasn't sorted out the cultural melding of the over 25 companies yet. Limited career possibilities for non-engineers, architects, etc.

Focus on identifying and growing internal talent

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM