There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Meh

Former Employee - Consultant II in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Consultant II in Portland, OR

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good healthcare and a good start for anyone directly out of college. While employed here, I heard great thing about the water and engineering groups.

Cons

Not a great place for high performers, as the company structure does not support rapid promotion. It is a rather top heavy company, so you will have a lot of upper management that are strictly there to keep tabs on your billability (I believe those resources could be better used).

Advice to Management

Get rid of about 30% of the upper management. Promote and reward great performers and provide them with means to succeed.

reviews filtered by

Get out while you can.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at AECOM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are good hard-working dedicated competent people in the organization who really care about their clients and each other. Unfortunately there aren't as many as there used to be, and the level of commitment to clients appears to drop the higher you go in the organization . The pay and benefits are good, if you can stay fully billable on profitable projects.

Cons

The company talks a good game about company values and the importance of integrity, employees, clients, quality, etc. However, revenue and utilization are all that really matters. The company does not care about clients other than getting the bills paid as soon as possible. Employees are sucked dry when there is billable work, and then immediately fired and given 30 minutes to leave when the workload drops. It is unhealthy to watch as every other Friday 2 or 3 more people are suddenly let go. If you have any dignity and aren't physically starving stay away, AECOM is not worth it. I loved my job for over 20 years, then I watched as an organization that I loved was destroyed and people that I respected and cared for were discarded. I have a new position, and I love it. There is life after AECOM.

Advice to Management

I was a long time AECOM employee (faithful, efficient, profitable for over 25 years). When the company went public, upper management decided to use every tool they ever heard about in MBA school to try to squeeze every cent of cost out of the company. Unfortunately, in the process management forgot that we work to satisfy our clients and that to satisfy our clients we need dedicated competent technical employees. Management has destroyed its many highly respected profitable legacy companies and replaced them with a disfunctional mega-company that is drifting aimlessly like a ship at sea without power or a rudder. The only way that AECOM has a prayer to recover and succeed is to completely replace its upper management and implement changes to the corporate culture to restore dedication to clients, respect and valuing of employees, and to act with integrity at all times. Frankly, I think that it is too late. AECOM has failed to be what it could and should have been. What a shame.

They lie - "recognizing that our people are our most valuable resource"

I have been working at AECOM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once you leave AECOM any job seems like the best in the world.
    Health Insurance isn't too bad especially since I am on new medications due to the stress of the job.

Cons

- I wish more people looked at this site before working for or doing work with aecom.
    - they lie they are not flexible on schedules.
    - I have no idea why they got an award for choice employer.
    - Employee well being is of no concern to them - only care about saving a dollar and making more
    - no communication from top management or across departments.
    - they do not look for process improvements. Drones only wanted. Suggest improvements think outside the box you'll probably get fired.
    - from thier web site "recognizing that our people are our most valuable resource, we foster professional development and personal growth in a myriad of ways"
    - so many hard workers get let go and replaced by temps cost cutting.
    - some temps have been there over 3 years and never hired probably because it is cheaper.
    - they acquire all these small firms to say they provide the small company feel and exceptional customer service yet many of the clients and employees of the original companies have ended their relationship of about 20+ once under aecom management because quality of service fails.
    - good luck getting paid within contract terms.
    - Accounts Payable holds payments to make the end of the month cash reports look good.
    - Sub contractors be warned.
    - AECOM Technical Corporation(ACM) is publicly traded. They do not report AECOM Technical Services properly therefore financially they look great.
    - many lawsuits and legal action towards AECOM Technical Services but, you won’t see any of that information reported publicly as it wasn’t against AECOM Technical Corporation(ACM)
    - no room for growth unless you are a puppet for manegment to control.
    - be an open thinking and you'll go nowhere with this company.
    - engineers and project managers are now expected to also be accountants as they keep putting more responsibility on the PM’s to cut the overhead costs.

Advice to Management

Look at your complaints to hr about managers in Shared Services. This company has lost so many good people because the fear they put into their employees. Shared Services is the worst as everyone is an overhead expense to them. They're trying to send as much as possible to India yet they have failed miserably and mess up invoicing and billing yet they still are working on sending more of Shared Services to save a buck.
    Out of 15 coworkers I talked to all of them are either on medication for high blood pressure, or some kind of anxiety or antidepressant since starting at AECOM.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM