There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Meh

Former Employee - Consultant II  in  Portland, OR
Former Employee - Consultant II in Portland, OR

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good healthcare and a good start for anyone directly out of college. While employed here, I heard great thing about the water and engineering groups.

Cons

Not a great place for high performers, as the company structure does not support rapid promotion. It is a rather top heavy company, so you will have a lot of upper management that are strictly there to keep tabs on your billability (I believe those resources could be better used).

Get rid of about 30% of the upper management. Promote and reward great performers and provide them with means to succeed.

824 Other Employee Reviews for AECOM (View Most Recent)

They lie - "recognizing that our people are our most valuable resource"

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Once you leave AECOM any job seems like the best in the world.
    Health Insurance isn't too bad especially since I am on new medications due to the stress of the job.

Cons

- I wish more people looked at this site before working for or doing work with aecom.
    - they lie they are not flexible on schedules.
    - I have no idea why they got an award for choice employer.
    - Employee well being is of no concern to them - only care about saving a dollar and making more
    - no communication from top management or across departments.
    - they do not look for process improvements. Drones only wanted. Suggest improvements think outside the box you'll probably get fired.
    - from thier web site "recognizing that our people are our most valuable resource, we foster professional development and personal growth in a myriad of ways"
    - so many hard workers get let go and replaced by temps cost cutting.
    - some temps have been there over 3 years and never hired probably because it is cheaper.
    - they acquire all these small firms to say they provide the small company feel and exceptional customer service yet many of the clients and employees of the original companies have ended their relationship of about 20+ once under aecom management because quality of service fails.
    - good luck getting paid within contract terms.
    - Accounts Payable holds payments to make the end of the month cash reports look good.
    - Sub contractors be warned.
    - AECOM Technical Corporation(ACM) is publicly traded. They do not report AECOM Technical Services properly therefore financially they look great.
    - many lawsuits and legal action towards AECOM Technical Services but, you won’t see any of that information reported publicly as it wasn’t against AECOM Technical Corporation(ACM)
    - no room for growth unless you are a puppet for manegment to control.
    - be an open thinking and you'll go nowhere with this company.
    - engineers and project managers are now expected to also be accountants as they keep putting more responsibility on the PM’s to cut the overhead costs.

Look at your complaints to hr about managers in Shared Services. This company has lost so many good people because the fear they put into their employees. Shared Services is the worst as everyone is an overhead expense to them. They're trying to send as much as possible to India yet they have failed miserably and mess up invoicing and billing yet they still are working on sending more of Shared Services to save a buck.
    Out of 15 coworkers I talked to all of them are either on medication for high blood pressure, or some kind of anxiety or antidepressant since starting at AECOM.

Kicking water uphill would be more rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A steady paycheck and decent health insurance in a down economy are the only major positive aspects of this job. Being at the lowest possible level of the organizational ladder also allows for leaving work at the door when going home for the day.

Cons

I could write a book and would still not have enough space to adequately express my dissatisfaction with nearly every facet of this job that does not involve drawing a regular paycheck.

Employees are treated as numbers on productivity reports. We have no worth outside of increasing shareholder value, which has been directly stated as our prime directive in multiple meetings.

Senior employees from multiple legacy organizations absorbed by AECOM sing the praises of how things used to be. New employees march as instructed until they're sufficiently indoctrinated, or they give up and quit within six months.

Management has little or no direct knowledge of the functions they oversee. There is little room for the advancement of truly skilled and dedicated employees -- managers seem only to hire their friends (externally or internally). Career advancement is a myth for entry-level employees within the current structure.

When the job market improves, there will be a mass exodus of talented employees. Prepare accordingly.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!