Who is in charge?

Former Employee - Architect  in  Kansas City, MO
Former Employee - Architect in Kansas City, MO

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get a pay check
The projects are nice

Cons

Leadership is not on the same page and they don't work together very well. They treat the staff like they are just replaceable employees. No office culture or identity.

Other Reviews for AECOM

Meh

Former Employee - Consultant II  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Portland, OR

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good healthcare and a good start for anyone directly out of college. While employed here, I heard great thing about the water and engineering groups.

Cons

Not a great place for high performers, as the company structure does not support rapid promotion. It is a rather top heavy company, so you will have a lot of upper management that are strictly there to keep tabs on your billability (I believe those resources could be better used).

Get rid of about 30% of the upper management. Promote and reward great performers and provide them with means to succeed.

Get out while you can.

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are good hard-working dedicated competent people in the organization who really care about their clients and each other. Unfortunately there aren't as many as there used to be, and the level of commitment to clients appears to drop the higher you go in the organization . The pay and benefits are good, if you can stay fully billable on profitable projects.

Cons

The company talks a good game about company values and the importance of integrity, employees, clients, quality, etc. However, revenue and utilization are all that really matters. The company does not care about clients other than getting the bills paid as soon as possible. Employees are sucked dry when there is billable work, and then immediately fired and given 30 minutes to leave when the workload drops. It is unhealthy to watch as every other Friday 2 or 3 more people are suddenly let go. If you have any dignity and aren't physically starving stay away, AECOM is not worth it. I loved my job for over 20 years, then I watched as an organization that I loved was destroyed and people that I respected and cared for were discarded. I have a new position, and I love it. There is life after AECOM.

I was a long time AECOM employee (faithful, efficient, profitable for over 25 years). When the company went public, upper management decided to use every tool they ever heard about in MBA school to try to squeeze every cent of cost out of the company. Unfortunately, in the process management forgot that we work to satisfy our clients and that to satisfy our clients we need dedicated competent technical employees. Management has destroyed its many highly respected profitable legacy companies and replaced them with a disfunctional mega-company that is drifting aimlessly like a ship at sea without power or a rudder. The only way that AECOM has a prayer to recover and succeed is to completely replace its upper management and implement changes to the corporate culture to restore dedication to clients, respect and valuing of employees, and to act with integrity at all times. Frankly, I think that it is too late. AECOM has failed to be what it could and should have been. What a shame.

There are newer employer reviews for AECOM.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!