AECOM
www.aecom.com Los Angeles, CA 5000+ Employees

Revolving Door With NO Support Whatsoever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe building was transit accessible and I had a nice office. Co-workers (matrix organization) were friendly, if harried. An amazing multi-cultural staff. I really enjoyed that.

ConsA lot of growing pains here, still. Many separate corporate cultures and organizational silos that don't talk to each other. They represent that it is better than it used to be. Can't imagine how bad it must have been.

There was no on-boarding process for new employees. I was shown my desk and told to get to work. On what? Using what resources? I certainly asked all of the questions about where to get training on internal systems (basic stuff, like logging into the accounting software) and where to find resources (like finding and accessing the training no one told I'd need BEFORE I could log into the accounting software). They couldn't even tell me where to find the charge numbers to use on my timesheet. Neither was there any tech support available for this - they fired the local tech guy and we had to use a ticket system - it took weeks to get answers.

Neither are there marketing materials to use in preparing proposals. I learned that there is literally no organized archive in place for this sort of stuff. Nor does there seem to be a real human with that knowledge. Sure, there is a massive network system with thousands of files. They're all set up using a standard folder system - and most of the folders are empty because PMs ignore the structure and do their own thing. In one case, I spent days looking for some material, finally gave up and prepared my report without it, and weeks later one of my supervisors casually said, 'oh, here is what you were looking for.' Thanks a lot.

Examples like this were endless and it became the running joke. If you go to work there, be aware that you're basically on your own. Even if you know what to ask about, you may get an answer like "oh, we don't have that." Ask at least 3-4 long-time people if you get such an answer, because it's clear that many people just don't know. Eventually, you may find someone who says "sure, we have that!" Be sure to snuggle up to your LOCAL IT and HR representatives. They will be your best friends as you try to figure out the on-line madness that passes for a network and the hidden doors to the training you don't know you need. Document everything - not that it will do you any good but at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing.

The ISO-9000 quality assurance process is a joke.

Strategic (business development) planning was a mess. There were good clients on board and we were told they could only be approached by the established contacts from the firm. OK, I respect that. Then we were told that the general game plan was to market our strengths to our existing clients. Hmmm. That limits the options. Then there were shifting territorial boundaries that made no sense at all. Finally, there is an unwritten list of blacklisted clients. All of this is very limiting in terms of drumming up new work.

Bottom line for prospective employees: BEFORE you sign on here be sure to put expectations in writing. Who are your clients? If that's not certain, identify - in ink - a list of prospective clients. Understand how much time you'll have to work those clients, both on a weekly basis (for time reporting - be sure to get a BD number) and in terms of achieving results. Be aware that you'll be expected to bill 40 hours of revenue time, not more and not less, regardless of how many you actually worked. If you know anything at all, you know what questions to ask. If you are pointed toward on-line training, be aware that much of it is pretty useless. It was written by people with expertise (good) for people who have worked in the organization and speak the corporate lingo (not so good). If you can, find a real human expert. Over the first month or two, expect to spend at least 10-20 hours a week on training.

You're largely on your own. Good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a long way to go before you get to anything like a cohesive organization. Your clients are right to worry about the inconsistencies they see.

Create a real on-boarding process. You might think you have all of the elements in place - and maybe you do - but HR doesn't do ANYTHING about rolling them out. HR doesn't even have answers.

Identify a clear training and information giving pathway. The existing on-line training doesn't work. The corporate website for accessing it is not intuitive. Even the 'search' function is pretty useless.

Meh

Consultant II (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good healthcare and a good start for anyone directly out of college.… Cons: Not a great place for high performers, as the company structure does not support rapid promotion. It is a rather top heavy company, so you… Advice to Senior Management: Get rid of about 30% of the upper management. Promote… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Get out while you can.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at AECOM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: There are good hard-working dedicated competent people in the organization who really care about their clients and each other. Unfortunately there aren't as many… Cons: The company talks a good game about company values and the importance of integrity, employees, clients, quality, etc. However, revenue and utilization are all… Advice to Senior Management: I was a long time AECOM employee (faithful, efficient, profitable for over 25 years). When the company went public, upper management decided to use… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on AECOM.

Worked for AECOM? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at AECOM reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for AECOM CEO Michael S. Burke. All reviews posted anonymously by AECOM employees.