There are newer employer reviews for AECOM

Decent benefits for an engineering firm

Former Employee - Civil Engineer
Former Employee - Civil Engineer

I worked at AECOM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For US employees the health and dental benefits are pretty decent for an AE firm.

Cons

It is a typical large corporation where you are not valued as an employee because management is only concerned about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Focus more on what originally made AECOM successful which was engineering not contract management. Increasing your profits and revenue through acquiring companies will never be as beneficial as winning work out right.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Be very wary about working at AECOM; it will get worse before it gets better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pros: Economy of scale (50,000 employees) and global coverage. Just like Wal-Mart has a competitive advantage with its size, so does AECOM (if that is important to you). Also decent benefits.

Cons

There are just so many bad things these days, but it really started heading downhill two years ago.
    The number one objective of executive management is to drive as much costs out of the organization (read people, rent, equipment, etc.) as possible. The number two objective to stay the world largest A/E firm (huge ego issue for the executive leaders). All other objectives are much less important.

Therefore, management’s attention is internally focused. Clients are a mere secondary concern to senior management and rarely discussed. The message has been heard loud and clear by staff on what's important.

Also, they cannot make their financial plan without 90 percent utilization from staff. If you are not billable or your project ends without another on to move onto; you are expendable. Companies of this size really view people as interchangeable widgets. Mindset is that they can hire another guy just like you in two months.

New office locations have NO individual offices spaces; everyone sits around oversized tables with snazzy ports. I take most of my calls in the hallway. Other offices will be retrofitted this way shortly. Think third world garment factory arrangement with new chairs and good coffee.

Advice to Management

Good luck with the new factory model. I imagine Wall Street will love the intermediate results but I sure don’t want to be working here. Inevitably, market forces will penalize huge organizations that become internally focused, treat their staff as a commodity, and most importantly don’t have clients as their number one focus.

Just a matter of when.

I want to leave.

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at AECOM full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart coworkers. Flexible schedule (every other Friday off). Corporation has worldwide reach.

Cons

I don't even know where to start. It has been simultaneously comforting and disturbing reading about fellow employees around the country wiith the same experiences. AECOM was built through acquisition of a wide variety of smaller firms, and it shows. Established names went away, and the replacement doesn't fill the void. Even people in my field are not really aware of AECOM, and if they are, it is with negative connotations. Combine this lack of recognition with high overhead costs due to a large, bloated executive management, and this serves to make us unable to compete with smaller more nimble organizations.

As an employee, you need to be constantly worried about being laid off. I've stopped worrying and almost wish they would lay me off. The work has grown less interesting and fraught with burdensome amounts of administration. The answer to all woes is a form. Or, better, a series of forms and processes. This serves to prevent us in focusing on what our primary focus should be: our clients.

I've realized for some time now that there really is no room for growth professionally or salary-wise. Pay increases have been at a minimal 1-3% annually, with very little management discretion. Local managers are told what they can do, and it's never much. All in all, there are many cons and few pros.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you do and actually value your employees. There are so many talented people that either leave voluntarily or are laid off. The value of the organization is in its people, and that is being constantly eroded.