AEI

Worked for 2 months

Former Employee - Testing Engineer in Stuart, FL
Former Employee - Testing Engineer in Stuart, FL

I worked at AEI

Pros

the work atmosphere is great and everyone is nice

Cons

didnt really understand everything that was going on, lack of communication

Communicate

31 Other Employee Reviews for AEI (View Most Recent)

Amazing but biased

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI

Pros

AEI is one of the leading think tanks in dc but along with the amazing scholars you have to deal with some very biased opinions

Cons

You will find yourself disagreeing with some of your co workers, who are often better paid and far more influential than you

Interns at AEI perform more substantiating work than interns at competing think tanks, and this is certainly a perk of working there

A good opportunity, but not a 100% slam dunk

Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at AEI

Pros

I was an intern at AEI with one of their scholars as a graduate student. I had good opportunities to do interesting research, review papers, and help brainstorm talking point for public appearances.

Interns are treated really well by staff and scholars, in my opinion. They get opportunities to tour different orgs. and departments around the DC area. The gourmet 3 course meals are pretty amazing. You'll gain weight at AEI if you're not careful.

Cons

There's a strong conservative ideology at AEI and very little else from along the rest of the spectrum. I've found that AEI's reputation on the outside isn't as good as people at AEI think it is. Many people see it less of a think-tank and more of an ideology-center. So, if you want to pursue research and you're already firmly rooted in a conservative position, then this might be a good stepping stone for you. If you're a moderate or liberal person, AEI's a good place to be exposed to to understand what it's like and get the viewpoint, but you'll probably not want to stay here long.

The whole place has the feeling of an old boys club. It'd be nice to see AEI become a bit more diverse - in terms of thought, look, and feel.

There are newer employer reviews for AEI