There are newer employer reviews for AEP

contractors make up half the work force and aren't treated very well

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP

Pros

its a good place to work

Cons

being a contractor is tough

Advice to Management

hire more full time... less contractors

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A different look at AEP.

Former Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Credit Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at AEP

Pros

Smart People, Great Industry and work environment, they keep you up to date with tools and conferences so that you are able to be on the cutting edge of everything.

Cons

There are different rules for different employees from the same group. If you are single, married, have children, and even being male or female has a direct correlation of how much flexibility you are given in your day to day activities. If you are single and male, expect to work longer and later than other individuals.

They also fail to make it clear what they want from some of your managers. Managers are also not approachable for questions, as you are already suppose to know everything, even though you may be transitioning from a different industry.

Be careful socializing outside of your department as they will fire you if you are approached by others for a job in a different department or if they believe you are speaking with another company.

Advice to Management

The difference in Communicators and Teachers is that Communicators take something difficult and teach others how to use it in an easy manner that others can grasp. Teachers take something difficult and make it difficult to understand.

AEP needs more Communicators and fewer teachers.

2. Mechanical Engineer from Purdue

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bridgman, MI
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Bridgman, MI

I have been working at AEP

Pros

I had a hard time in college deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I am a Purdue grad and I learned about AEP at the Engineering Round Table in 2005. I knew I wanted to do a rotational program and what could be better than working at a nuclear power plant? AEP let me hit the ground running and shape my own career. I was hired in with a group of engineers that became my best friends. My bosses are great listeners and instructors and every day on the job I learn something new. I don't feel restricted in my growth and I know this is a very stable company.

Cons

I don't always love when there are issues in the plant and it causes us to operate differently. Outages are good money but very tiring.

Advice to Management

My feedback would be that they are doing a great job in this unstable market.