There are newer employer reviews for AEP

Mechanical Engineer from Ohio

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at AEP

Pros

1. I love what I do.
2. My coworkers have become my best friends.
3. I get up to date continuous training
4. I get to do a lot of community service
5. The pay is definitely something to brag to my friends about.
6. The upper management is very knowledgeable.
7. I am able to have a great work/life balance.
8. I have career stability.

Cons

1. Outages seem to be very time consuming in the midst of them.
2. The benefits are not as great as they used to be.

I would say that I am enjoying the alternative energy sources that we are exploring and we need to look into it more.

reviews filtered by

AEP -- a dynamic place to work

Current Employee - Energy Analyst
    Current Employee - Energy Analyst

I have been working at AEP

Pros

One of the best parts about working at AEP are the opportunities for internal mobility. At AEP, and particularly in the Commercial Operations division, people are encouraged to try different projects and groups. Upward and as well as lateral mobility is quite common, and many people switch roles every couple of years. This kind of dynamic environment (1) produces a workforce that better understands how their work fits into "the big picture" (2) allows employees to get to know and network with a broader cross-section of the company, and (3) forces us to re-examine the old methods and habits in search of improvement.
    Before getting to know AEP, I had imagined the company as any old utility -- rigid and boring -- but after two years, I'm still excited to work there!

Cons

A negative to working at a large company such as AEP is the disconnect between divisions and operating companies. Besides AEP's regional utilities across several states, there are also river barge operations, special environmental projects, and energy market trading activity. While corporate management tries to unify the company through e-mails, a good intranet site and company newsletters, it's still sometimes difficult to see the big picture of the company and truly understand what's happening.
    Another frustrating aspect of working at AEP is the time it takes to work through layers of IT security for new employees. It takes several days to get security badges to work, e-mail accounts to be set up, access for computer applications to be granted, and passwords to function. These problems make it difficult for new employees to acclimate to the climate and to jump right into their new jobs.

While there is a formal process for employee feedback, I feel it might be very helpful to have a formal chance for employees to give feedback to their supervisors. This would open the channels of communication further.

2. Admin

I have been working at AEP

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None to report at this time.

There are newer employer reviews for AEP