Overall very good.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at AIG

Pros

The job paid well and I liked my bosses very much. AIG has many very bright and talented professionals from whom to learn. I highly value the experience I received there.

Cons

I worked REALLY hard and long hours. My project was successful but for some reason I don't think management saw that. There is significant functional compartmentalization and it's difficult to determine where to go for explanations on how to accomplish everything.

Advice to Management

Top management has an extremely difficult job based on the financial issues which apparently stemmed from a financial division that took very high risks that led to the near collapse of the entire company. Benmosche and most of his predecessors appeared to be honest, intelligent, hard working people that appear to have been successful at saving this very large and disparate institution. My more direct managers were fantastic! (Despite the fact that I was laid off I am really glad to have worked there for as long as I did.) As for advice I'd suggest that, if it's possible, to clarify to employees how to get things done and whom to go to in order to do so. The bureaucracy is formidable and frustrating.

reviews filtered by
  1. Started off rocky, got down right terrible but is emerging once again-Gets better every day

Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Satisfied Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at AIG

Pros

Benefits, Flexibility (both personal & professional), opportunity to learn and advance, supports obtaining certifications & continuing education, has become an industry leader in it's market, unique thought process, values collaboration and ideas (in most cases), is on top of changing markets and industry trends.

Cons

Communication is improving but still not even at basic levels. Changes are made without all stakeholder knowledge or proper up/down stream impact. Changes are made with no regard to impact (even when known) if a deadline must be met. Poor change manangement skills at the leadership level.

Advice to Management

You have improved leaps and bounds over the past 3 years. We have a long way to go. Most of the issues we experience on the front lines are due to poor communication and lack of consideration from the senior leadership team. I would wonder where the info is coming from to make operational decisions if the front lines aren't involve at least in the fact gathering process. Overall, I enjoy my job and my peers do as well. There are only a handful of companies that are "GREAT" to work at. The grass is pretty green on our side of the fence. Just keep fertilizing and watering.

2. unstable company

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in New York, NY

I worked at AIG

Pros

salary is ok, flexible time

Cons

unstable, by nature of AIG business

Advice to Management

looking into more business channels