There are newer employer reviews for AIG

The first 8 years were great but post 2008 bailout was Hell until my business unit was shut down recently.

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

Huge global reach offering opportunities throughout the financial services sector. Instant brand recognition throughout the world. World leader in insurance offerings.

Cons

2008 bailout effectively destroyed brand reputation. Sale of key business units to repay the government shrunk the company and eliminated some of its critical competitive advantages. Internal atmosphere still is negative and financial decision-making controlled by the Fed/Govt. Future outlook remains uncertain.

Advice to Management

Remove the remaining management that had key responsibilities for the AIG crisis.

Other Employee Reviews for AIG

1. Very solid per 2008. Disorganized and rudderless since.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

You can easily succeed by just being above average. If you like being pigeon holed for you entire career it's great. Also if you have no ambition this is the place.

Cons

Blatant favoritism, No stock. Bad review process. No salarie increases. Poor benefit packages.

Advice to Management

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

2. Overall very good.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

The job paid well and I liked my bosses very much. AIG has many very bright and talented professionals from whom to learn. I highly value the experience I received there.

Cons

I worked REALLY hard and long hours. My project was successful but for some reason I don't think management saw that. There is significant functional compartmentalization and it's difficult to determine where to go for explanations on how to accomplish everything.

Advice to Management

Top management has an extremely difficult job based on the financial issues which apparently stemmed from a financial division that took very high risks that led to the near collapse of the entire company. Benmosche and most of his predecessors appeared to be honest, intelligent, hard working people that appear to have been successful at saving this very large and disparate institution. My more direct managers were fantastic! (Despite the fact that I was laid off I am really glad to have worked there for as long as I did.) As for advice I'd suggest that, if it's possible, to clarify to employees how to get things done and whom to go to in order to do so. The bureaucracy is formidable and frustrating.