AIG

www.aig.com
  www.aig.com
There are newer employer reviews for AIG

The worst Company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at AIG

Pros

Initially high starting salary
Location of Corporate Office has nice views.
Nice area downtown; good restaurants; right next to the Seaport.

Cons

Culture is still not team oriented. Lower level decision making is not rewarded and often penalized due to probably the worst RPR system on the planet! Performance is not measured based on accomplishment. Performance is measured based on collective voting by managers who may or may not know what you do (old GE model) using an equal distribution between groups of jobs that are put together with no connection in functionality. This was obviously a "knee jerk" reaction to the public outcry of executive salaries after the bailout and was not well thought out.

Need to commit to a total cultural change, because the way things are going nobody in their right mind will ever tell you the truth if they want to keep their jobs. Right now, I do not see this Company surviving with the type of people you are retaining. I say retaining, because only employees who don't care and want to coast will remain with AIG given the current environment there.

781 Other Employee Reviews for AIG (View Most Recent)

It was a great company to work for when I first started.

Former Employee - Accountant II in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Accountant II in New York, NY

I worked at AIG

Pros

Largest and most recognizable insurance company.

Cons

Associated with the 2008 bailout.

Be more clear as to where the company is headed.

Overall very good.

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at AIG

Pros

The job paid well and I liked my bosses very much. AIG has many very bright and talented professionals from whom to learn. I highly value the experience I received there.

Cons

I worked REALLY hard and long hours. My project was successful but for some reason I don't think management saw that. There is significant functional compartmentalization and it's difficult to determine where to go for explanations on how to accomplish everything.

Top management has an extremely difficult job based on the financial issues which apparently stemmed from a financial division that took very high risks that led to the near collapse of the entire company. Benmosche and most of his predecessors appeared to be honest, intelligent, hard working people that appear to have been successful at saving this very large and disparate institution. My more direct managers were fantastic! (Despite the fact that I was laid off I am really glad to have worked there for as long as I did.) As for advice I'd suggest that, if it's possible, to clarify to employees how to get things done and whom to go to in order to do so. The bureaucracy is formidable and frustrating.

There are newer employer reviews for AIG