There are newer employer reviews for AIG

Great place to learn - sadly the financial crisis may make other options more appealing.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AIG

Pros

AIG is about the best company in the industry to learn and gain exposure to challenges beyond your expectations. The challenges will guarantee you success at any other company in the industry.

Cons

Regretfully, AIG has been hit hard by the financial crisis in the U.S. The P&C insurance companies have performed well over the years, but, the challenges that face the parent company and financial exposures may be difficult to overcome. This places a tremendous amount of pressure on all employees. The environment was demanding and challenging before the current financial issues and it has only escalated now.

Be completely honest with your employees. The business is based on the personal relationships of front lines mangers and they need to know exactly what is going on. The managers communicate directly with the clients and control the revenue of the P&C "crown jewels" of the organization. .

646 Other Employee Reviews for AIG (View Most Recent)

Risky, but possibly worth it

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at AIG

Pros

When I signed on, the best reason to work there was name recognition and scope of projects. (Obviously, I managed to join at exactly the wrong time, as the collapse happened halfway through my contract.) The people I worked with generally seemed competent and professional, and I know that in our department our managers were really working to both protect and advance us -- circumstances just got in the way. The work I did at AIG set me up brilliantly for my next job.

Cons

The current rending of the company limb from limb is a minus. I wouldn't dissuade people from joining now, because I think that things are beginning to get sorted out and the next few quarters will be better, but also be ready for some dead projects. When I left, I went through my folders and realized that every single one of my recent projects had stalled and died. If you think you can power through a dead zone for a while until the company finds its footing again, go for it. Another downside is the overuse of contractors: you never know who you're going to get on the other end of the phone, week to week, and there were some projects when all four of us at the table had only been at the company for a few weeks -- not good.

More salaried workers! Get a skeleton team, and THEN flesh out with contractors. Contractors alone can't form a backbone, because they keep leaving and knowledge and routines are lost with them.

Best company I've worked for, will never go back to work for one of the Big 4 accounting firms.

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG

Pros

AIG is a fantastic company to work for. First of all, thesalary is competitive and the working hours are flexible. You can come in at 9 and leave at 5 or you can come in at 8:30 and leave at 4:30--great for those with kids.I for one welcome the fact that we don't have to track every single hour as I did in the accounting field.

The management is very friendly and professional. Everyone is there to help you and I've never experienced the level of arrogance and attitude experience in the accounting world.

Cons

Getting access to information owned by other groups.

Create a strong Risk Management department to make sure the company doesn't go down again.

There are newer employer reviews for AIG

Worked for AIG? Contribute to the Community!