AIG

AIG - Hope you like babysitting

Current Employee - Underwriting Team in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Underwriting Team in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

It's growth in the marketplace, it's competetiveness with other companies, it's relationships with the brokers

Cons

The salaries are not competitive, they favor hiring kids straight from college for higher position versus promoting from within. They frown upon employees using their sick time, even though they give us 8 days of it a year, we have a VP in client services who is fantatical to the point of bullying/harrassment in his attempts for us to be healthier as a means to not call in sick. We have managers who try to make us give them reasons we are using sick days.

Recognize that you have some talented people working for you already. Stop hiring children for jobs they are clearly not ready for.

788 Other Employee Reviews for AIG (View Most Recent)

mediocre opinion

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG

Pros

career enhancement workshops/sessions are pretty good, you can further develop your skills.

Cons

clique, depending on what managers you have...they could be catty.

show recognition more often, not just to underwriters but to all support staff.

AIG is a good place to work and a great place to gain experience if you're not "faint of heart."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

AIG is an excellent place to work if you want to gain experience handling very complicated matters for very high profile accounts from "Day 1". The experience you gain in a couple of years at AIG would take you a decade or more to acquire anywhere else. You have ALOT of freedom in most positions to make your job truly "your job". Overall, the company is a good place to work.

Cons

The downsides are really the flip-sides of each of the best reasons for working for this company. As noted, you gain incredible experience handling very complicated matters for high profile accounts from your first day. The down-side is that you really need to learn alot on your own. There is little training and even less in the way of established procedure and process. The breadth of experience you gain in a short time is impressive, but it can be stressful, too. AIG is so huge that it is easy to feel like a small cog in a giant machine and to lose sight of your role in the overall success of the organization.

Hire more staff and organise work so that people can specialize a little more. the work product quality would improve as would employee morale and customer satisfaction.

There are newer employer reviews for AIG