There are newer employer reviews for AIG

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at AIG full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with; interesting work

Cons

Too much change too quickly

Significant change to senior management caused unnecessary turnover in many departments

reviews filtered by

no one is safe

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people genuinely care about doing a good job and are anxious to learn.

Cons

AIG since the credit crisis has emphasized the need for loyalty from its people and fostered a "we are all in it together attitude." In the last quarter, AIG earned 1.8 billion dollars and as America knows, has paid back the government the billions loaned to it. How does mAnagement pay back its employees who stuck around and were loyal to the company in its most desperate hours, by laying off many long-term employees and moving jobs out of New York to Kansas, Alpharetta and Manila in the Philippines. As expressed elsewhere on this site, Aig has instituted a forced ranking system, where good employees are forced to an underperforming category for no other reason other than having to fit into a distribution curve. Not a single manager at AIG that I have spoken to about this system thinks it has any value and the vast majority hate it (this includes performers who are ranked highly against their peers). Not only does it not have any value, but it is anti long-term strategic thinking and collaboration. We now have a new claims system that is unusable but was forced to early completion by management who no doubt wanted to complete it by the end f 2013 so that he could accomplish his goals, get a higher RPR score, a bigger bonus and advance within the organization. Employees no longer collaborate and many employees have now focused on how to get the highest RPR score and competing with their co-workers. The head of operations and claims calls the new system a good one, and everyone who is forced to use it knows the truth. As an organization, we are cutting expenses so that we can make more money in the short-term without thinking what is best to meet the needs of our clients and insureds. Rather than thinking of the customer first and how to provide the best claims handling and underwriting in the industry, management has taken the easy way out and is taking a short-term approach of cutting, cutting and more cutting.

AIG was once a great company striving for excellence. It no longer is. The CEO is only thinking of his short-term legacy and is taking short-cuts and the easy way out to accomplish it. The company that remains is one where no one knows whether their job is safe (this feeling permeates the upper level of the claims and underwriting departments). AIG has shown us that they have no concern whatsoever about its employees and the current management has no long-term vision and thinks of its profits before its customers. I currently work at AIG and have done so for many years. I was one of the people who worked very hard over the last half a dozen years to turn AIG around but I am forced to look for another job based on the realization that the company does not care at all about its employees and management is focused on meeting its short-term expense reduction goals whether it is right for the company or not. Loyalty should not be a one-way street, but it is at AIG.

Focus on your customers rather than exclusively on profits. What you will have left is a third rate organization and a work force which will have no confidence in management or what they say.

2. rapidly growing in terms of technology reach. Good opportunity for a solit technology specialist / leader

I have been working at AIG

Pros

growing organization, stability, good comp

Cons

reputation is still not recovered from US govt bailout

focus on quality and not quantity - rapid pace of changes is causing lots of waste

There are newer employer reviews for AIG