AIG

www.aig.com
  www.aig.com
There are newer employer reviews for AIG

Overall great company with diverse career opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Senior Underwriter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

By far the largest insurance company and therefore has certain benefits such as innovative products and some (not all) great management, diverse career opportunities, great learning ground for the insurance business, is not for the weak

Cons

Sometimes can be too large and you can get lost in the shuffle, can have bad reputation in market, small to nil bonuses

Figure out the financials and communicate the situation clearly to your employees. I think we are taking steps in the right direction to resolve the situation but right now it is critical that you reiterate that message to your employees.

789 Other Employee Reviews for AIG (View Most Recent)

AIG is a great place to work if you like commutes and are willing to endure small pockets of non-cooperation.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at AIG

Pros

While at AIG for 2 years (6months as a consultant, 18 months as an employee), I earned a great salary, I worked in nice offices, I was given the flexibility to work out of multiple offices, I was given responsibility and the options to travel. I was also allowed to attend out of state training and other nice things. I was overall happy with how things worked at AIG. I wasn't too keen on my manager because he had a tendency to be annoying and clueless at times but that was minor. I worked with other knowledgeable professionals in the IT department.

Cons

My major problem was my commute. Although AIG is a global company with offices near my home, I was not able to utilize the facility so I had to trek 85miles each day by train or car to get to the office. After 2 years of this, I was burnt out and I took a paycut to work closer to home with another company. AIG said they'd allow me to work from this closer location but it never panned out. I lost the wind in my sails for AIG once I was denied the opportunity to simplify my commute. I felt their concern for me was low and I was worth more than what they were doing for me.

Work harder to standardize IT infrastructure. Work harder to get IT employees of companies under the umbrella to work together and not butt heads

Good start

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at AIG

Pros

If you looking to get your foot in the door and experience in Retirement Services this is a good company to start. Get some experience under your belt and leave quickly, there is no real career path, but you will have access to everything related to Retirement Services. Decent benefits package, expensive health insurance, but that is probably true of most companies today. Work/life balance for most departments.

Cons

Not a leader in Retirement Services. The company is challenged technologically, but is making improvements. The company is lead by its sales force. Senior Management makes decisions based on internal clients, not the external clients. The company restructures every 6-12 months, with no real strategy. The company is top heavy, with too many executive titles, not enough innovation.

Listen to your clients and improve your technology. You are not proactive in understanding the needs of your clients.

There are newer employer reviews for AIG