There are newer employer reviews for AIG

Nice environment to work and learn new things, probably not a good timing with AIG situation.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at AIG

Pros

They have the best technology money can buy. Equipments are up to date. Never a mundane work place. Projects are interesting and keep you challenged. Most people are friendly towards each other with client focus in mind. Managers are understanding and flexible. They allow you to work from home as long as you have a valid reason and not abuse it.

Cons

Daily long hours of work and weekend work is frequent if you are in Technology. Off shore consultants are incompetent to say the least. A bit bureaucratic with structured processes. It is mainly for SarBox and audit but it could get the way of completing tasks needed to accomplish. Strict compliance rules and regulations for personal trading, don’t even think about "day trading".

There are more than twice the amount of consultants than employees. Let go the ones that are not producing results.

646 Other Employee Reviews for AIG (View Most Recent)

AIG Underwriting

Current Employee - Underwritting Technician  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Underwritting Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AIG

Pros

The feeling of stability. You get recognition for going above and beyond what is expected of you. They will give you every chance to develop your career. I feel my management is very knowledgeable and easy to get along with. Everyone in my department is willing to help and teach me so that I can fully understand what I am doing.

Cons

When it rains, it pours. The company match for the 401K plan does not maximize your investment potential until you have been at the company 10 years. Medical and other benefits are in line with what my peers are offered in other offices. You are unable to access your personal benefit statement at home. If you want to make changes, you need to do it at work. Sometimes that makes me feel like my privacy is being invaded, whether its by IT security's abilty to see personal and private information, or from people walking by my cube.

Get us out of this financial mess and get back on track with the stock. Ed Liddy seems like a very good choice for our new CEO. Hopefully his tenure with AIG is long term.

Self created career employer

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at AIG

Pros

Energetic atmosphere, opportunities and career advancement are self-driven. These are great assets of the company if you are a self motivated, professional, driven and competent individual. There is a great level of professional development available by senior level professionals, for any employee willing to raise his/her hand and ask. The internal training opportunities are tremendous. Access to exceptional information is readily available.

Cons

Tough environment, competitive but rewarding. AIG will take what you are willing to give it. Long hours are expected and needed to accomplish the corporate goal. Young professionals early in their career should take notice to speak up, advocate for their ideas, these are championed by management.

pay special attention to your 'coaching' ability in order to retain and attract young talent. We need to train and retain.

There are newer employer reviews for AIG

Worked for AIG? Contribute to the Community!